» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ship Giffords, Not the Navy!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
David Yeagley Search for posts by this member.
Comanche Patriot

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,15:40  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm afraid this is not how it's done.  But, with Democrats in power, maybe it is:

Navy names ship for former congresswoman Giffords
By The Associated Press
2-10-12

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy has named a ship for Gabrielle Giffords, the recently retired congresswoman from Arizona who is recovering from a gunshot wound to the head received in January 2011.

In a ceremony at the Pentagon, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus unveiled an artist's rendering of the USS Gabrielle Giffords.

Aren't the Democrats the ones who are always anti-war?  Are the liberals against associating themselves with anything military?  Are the Dems the ones who hate violence and war?  

Naming a US Navy ship after an essentially insignificant woman? This turns honor upside down.  This, in the name of what, equality?  

This is actually ridiculous, on all sides.  Sorry.  It just makes mockery out of everything.  But, that is the Obama administration.  That is the Democrat way.  

This was an anti-American act, in the last analysis.

Also, I believe this may be the first Navy ship named after a woman.  Pelosi must be envious.  And Hillary.  

Now, ships have been called by women's names for hundreds of years.  But, we're talking a U.S. military vessel here, named after a liberal Democrat, at a time when Democrats are freshly exulting in the success of their anti-war efforts.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AngloSaxon Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,15:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they're going to name a ship after a member of Congress, why not a USS Leo Ryan? He actually died in the service of his constituents and he was a WW2 veteran.  Mrs. Giffords story is inspirational but one would think that to have a ship named after someone requires more than just being shot.

Jon
 Post Number: 3
Comanche Patriot

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,20:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Truthfully, what really hurts me is this:  I have prayed for this woman's recovery from the day she was shot.  I did not know who she was, or anything about her.  I was just moved to pray for her, for some reason.

I have long awaited a word of gratitude to the Lord.  No one has mentioned the name of God in connection with her recovery.  The self-idolizing Democrats have praised only Gabby herself!  When she came out of a coma, they praised her great will--as if her will had anything at all to do with awakening out of a coma!  

I was appalled.  Yet, I continued to pray for her, that she would have the praise of God on her lips.

Maybe she does, but she has not said so publicly.  She is a public figure.  She has the responsibility to the world to acknowledge of the grace of God.  Taking credit herself is most odious.  

To name a ship after her?   Nah.  Idolatrous error.
 Post Number: 4
Comanche Patriot

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012,22:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naming of Navy ships returns to tradition
Recent choices drew criticism
By Rowan Scarborough
The Washington Times
Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, under fire from Congress and veterans for naming ships after fellow Democrats and social activists, plans to announce another round of ship names in the near future that will be more traditional, a Pentagon official tells The Washington Times.

The official said Mr. Mabus has chosen names for five surface ships - three for war heroes and two for locations. Ships typically are named after states and cities.

“I think they would be more consistent with what most people would say traditions and naming conventions are,” the official said.

Asked whether this was a response to criticism, the official said: “It isn’t. I think if you look at these five additional ships, I think you’ll see examples that are very traditional.” The official said three ships would be named after highly decorated Navy or Marine Corps personnel.

Mr. Mabus, a former Mississippi governor, broke with Navy conventions in the past three years when he named an amphibious ship, two cargo ships and a littoral combat ship after two social activists and two fellow Democrats.

“The Navy’s ship-naming process remains the subject of criticism based on several recent decisions,” Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican, wrote to Mr. Mabus on Tuesday. He said there are still opportunities “for the Navy to show its intent to uphold the integrity and tradition of this process.”
3 replies since Feb. 10 2012,15:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ship Giffords
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code