» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NEW PLANET!, Discovery of a new planet.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2005,02:59  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does everybody feel about having a new planet?  It's said to be 1 1/2 times the size of Pluto.

Image above: These time-lapse images of a newfound planet in our solar system, called 2003UB313, were taken on Oct. 21, 2003, using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at the Palomar Observatory near San Diego, Calif. The planet, circled in white, is seen moving across a field of stars. The three images were taken about 90 minutes apart. Scientists did not discover that the object in these pictures was a planet until Jan. 8, 2005. Image credit: Samuel Oschin Telescope, Palomar Observatory

NASA-Funded Scientists Discover Tenth Planet

A planet larger than Pluto has been discovered in the outlying regions of the solar system.

The planet was discovered using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Palomar Observatory near San Diego, Calif. The discovery was announced today by planetary scientist Dr. Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif., whose research is partly funded by NASA.

The planet is a typical member of the Kuiper belt, but its sheer size in relation to the nine known planets means that it can only be classified as a planet, Brown said. Currently about 97 times further from the sun than the Earth, the planet is the farthest-known object in the solar system, and the third brightest of the Kuiper belt objects.

"It will be visible with a telescope over the next six months and is currently almost directly overhead in the early-morning eastern sky, in the constellation Cetus," said Brown, who made the discovery with colleagues Chad Trujillo, of the Gemini Observatory in Mauna Kea, Hawaii, and David Rabinowitz, of Yale University, New Haven, Conn., on January 8.

Brown, Trujillo and Rabinowitz first photographed the new planet with the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope on October 31, 2003. However, the object was so far away that its motion was not detected until they reanalyzed the data in January of this year. In the last seven months, the scientists have been studying the planet to better estimate its size and its motions.

"It's definitely bigger than Pluto," said Brown, who is a professor of planetary astronomy.

Scientists can infer the size of a solar system object by its brightness, just as one can infer the size of a faraway light bulb if one knows its wattage. The reflectance of the planet is not yet known. Scientists can not yet tell how much light from the sun is reflected away, but the amount of light the planet reflects puts a lower limit on its size.

"Even if it reflected 100 percent of the light reaching it, it would still be as big as Pluto," says Brown. "I'd say it's probably one and a half times the size of Pluto, but we're not sure yet of the final size.

"We are 100 percent confident that this is the first object bigger than Pluto ever found in the outer solar system," Brown added.

The size of the planet is limited by observations using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, which has already proved its mettle in studying the heat of dim, faint, faraway objects such as the Kuiper-belt bodies. Because Spitzer is unable to detect the new planet, the overall diameter must be less than 2,000 miles, said Brown.

A name for the new planet has been proposed by the discoverers to the International Astronomical Union, and they are awaiting the decision of this body before announcing the name.

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory manages the Spitzer Space Telescope mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. Science operations are conducted at the Spitzer Science Center at Caltech. Caltech manages JPL for NASA.

Post Number: 2
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,13:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well we can use another planet for America.  Take all the immigrants who had the first contact with our ancestors and let them build their own heaven on this new planet.

Betty Ann

Post Number: 3
Amerind Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,13:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Miykael:
How does everybody feel about having a new planet?

why not?  It probably can't be any more screwed up than this one.

--------------
Amerind

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our our country and our people, and neither do we.--Dubya

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759"

"Bead all that you can bead." - on a T-shirt at Bill and Dee's in Norman, OK
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,14:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But this time on this new planet, instead of the statue of liberty being a white woman they can place a black woman there!

And, and instead of all the history being white based we can send them blacks up there to become the changelings for the whites.

All the slaves would be white and the white women will be at the mercy of their black male master.

Their rules and constitutions would be based on SheDesigns words about Africa and SheDesigns would be the Condi Rice of this new found world.

Us Indians will just relax and let nature takes its course as the planet earth becomes a virgin again, just like before the white man and woman came here.

Oh and when this new planet is created leave the American flag for us Indians.

And forgot Walksthrough can become the famous savior for this new found planet...praise the lord!

Betty Ann

Post Number: 5
troll Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,16:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well..I do agree white women are a royal pain in the ass..little princesses often..  I guess thats why I am attracted to more exotic females..  not a ''lighter shade of pale".....
 Post Number: 6
Amerind Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,16:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thundersky66"[QUOTE]Us (sic) Indians will just relax and let nature takes its course.

No different than what we've done before...

--------------
Amerind

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our our country and our people, and neither do we.--Dubya

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759"

"Bead all that you can bead." - on a T-shirt at Bill and Dee's in Norman, OK
 Post Number: 7
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2005,17:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I don't know about you Amerind, but I am not one to give up...tis better to sit back and relax gives one time to think about their next move.

Yeah, you are right Troll, the white women are really princesses, so much of a princess that they do not know how to take care of themselves of fend for themselves.

Betty Ann

Post Number: 8
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2005,01:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (Thundersky66 @ Aug. 05 2005,3:16)
Well we can use another planet for America.  Take all the immigrants who had the first contact with our ancestors and let them build their own heaven on this new planet.

Ya got a big enough rocket to ship us there?  We will probably need a lot of warm clothes, too.  It's liable to be really cold there.   :D

Quote (troll @ Aug. 05 2005,6:47)
Well..I do agree white women are a royal pain in the ass..little princesses often..  

That can be true sometimes.

Quote (troll @ Aug. 05 2005,6:47)
I guess thats why I am attracted to more exotic females..  not a ''lighter shade of pale".....

My wife is half Syrian.  Yep, her mother was one of those wild Arabs.  Let's deport her.   :D

Actually, my wife's mother's family were Christian (Catholic) Syrians who immigrated here back in the first half of last century and her father had German & Celtic heritage.

Actually, she's about as Americanized (whatever that means) as a person can get. Her skin is quite white, but she still has that beautiful black hair.

Now, her mother, God rest her soul, was a different story.   You didn't want to cross that woman.  :laugh:

Post Number: 9
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2005,08:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, that would be mean to deport your wife that is out of the question.

Betty Ann

Post Number: 10
SteveL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2005,11:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember years ago reading about the search for Pluto; that our solar system didn't quite balance out mathamatically.  Based on the known (calculated) planatary gravimetiric data some mass seemed to be missing in our solar system.  Astonomers hunted and finally found Pluto, and I seem to recall that the mathamaticians of the day stated that Pluto could account for a good bit of our solar system's gravitational anomaly, but not all of it.

Seems we may have found that planetary missing link.  I am encouraged that mankind is still searching and stretching our collective boundaries.  If we can just keep from killing ourselves off mayhaps we can one day become greater than we are.

SteveL
15 replies since Aug. 02 2005,02:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NEW PLANET!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code