[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Paintings by Joseph Farquharson< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
Ray Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,15:01  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to say hello to Alligator and Mac. It's been a long time guys, especially with you Mac; I hope you've been doing well and staying healthy. When we get some time, it'd be good to catch up. I miss our conversations on religion.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 22
David Yeagley Search for posts by this member.
Comanche Patriot

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,17:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray, know anything about sheep herding?  I'm stumped on this one.  Look at the painting at the beginning of this thread.

GMS noticed the smokeless chimneys.  I noticed some other things.  But, Mac ain't conceding any victory here, yet.  He and Gator say there's something special about this painting...

Herding sheep in a winter's landscape
 Post Number: 23
Comanche Patriot

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,17:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mac!  Is it Christian?   There is a lot of use of tripple figures.  Three trees on the right.  Three roofs in the distance.  

The sheep are divided as a cross!  The shadow of the first of the big three trees falls right across their path, where they divide.  

Ah, well.  Maybe I'm seeing things.  I hadn't noticed those things before.

Funny, how the blue tree shadow reaches out directly to the viewer, like the Holy Spirit approaching us.

There are three major shadows.  The shepherd is standing in the first one.  The sheep in the second, the we the viewer are touched by the third.
 Post Number: 24
Greetings my son! Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,17:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, lets put the superior Roman mind to work. If indeed it is dusk in that painting, than why in the hell would the sheppard be taking the sheep away from the warmth and protection of his home and out buildings? --- is he drunk?

Also, I think there should be more rocks on the land and at least one rock fence somewhere.

Someone sinking in a bog of quick sand in the fog screaming for help is missing also.

I know that entire bulldozers have been swallowed up in Scotland during various construction projects.

--------------
http://greetingsmyson.wordpress.com/files/2007/06/slobs-house.jpg
 Post Number: 25
Greetings my son! Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,17:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's he waiting for a drum roll?

--------------
http://greetingsmyson.wordpress.com/files/2007/06/slobs-house.jpg
 Post Number: 26
nettles Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,18:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where's the black sheep?  ha

I do love a mystery.
 Post Number: 27
Comanche Patriot

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,18:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even the tracks point toward the viewer.  Methinks this is a Christian mystical painting (symbolic painting), in a pastoral, Scottish style.  

GMS, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with the mysticisms of the old Scots.   It's a wonderfully spooking place.  Maybe you are familiar.  I don't know.
 Post Number: 28
nettles Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,18:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't notice fences. Except for the usual ones close to home.  Made me think of open range.
If indeed it is dusk in that painting, than why in the hell would the sheppard be taking the sheep away from the warmth and protection of his home and out buildings? --- is he drunk?

But you could just figure he is approaching, has not turned them around yet.
 Post Number: 29
Comanche Patriot

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,19:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I got it!  (Where's Mac?)

This is an evangelical, Christian painting.

The smokeless chimneys represent empty humanity.  Forsaken place.

The sheep are being led away, the way of the cross, (where the tree shadow touches the sheep--and they form the naves, or the arms, of the cross), down a road that has been traveled recently, by another.  Toward the viewer.

The shadowy spirits reach out to the viewer, even to touch.  

The eternal sun creates all these directions.

In a way, the viewer is the Spirit Himself.  Calling all towards Himself.  Else, the viewer is being called.  Mabye the viewer is a Christ sentiment in all this.

Am I reading too much into this?  I don't think so.

Mac!  Where are you?!
 Post Number: 30
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2008,20:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (Ray @ Dec. 07, 2008 7:01 pm CT)
I want to say hello to Alligator and Mac. It's been a long time guys, especially with you Mac; I hope you've been doing well and staying healthy. When we get some time, it'd be good to catch up. I miss our conversations on religion.

Hey!  Hello back there Ray. :)

68 replies since Dec. 03 2008,13:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 7<<1234567>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Paintings by Joseph Farquharson
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code