[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Vine Deloria Jr., Native American Author< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bear Search for posts by this member.
Mohican Warrior

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2010,12:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not read any of his books as of yet, but came across one last night at the book store, and was tempted to buy it. His name rang a bell as a name that was mentioned at "Indianzoo.com" and just wanted to know if Doc or anyone else had ever had a opportunity to read over his work and what they thought of it.

--------------
"Our land is everything to us... I will tell you one of the things we remember on our land. We remember that our grandfathers paid for it with their lives."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tallsoldier77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2010,14:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bear @ Jan. 13 2010,12:26)
I have not read any of his books as of yet, but came across one last night at the book store, and was tempted to buy it. His name rang a bell as a name that was mentioned at "Indianzoo.com" and just wanted to know if Doc or anyone else had ever had a opportunity to read over his work and what they thought of it.

Custer Died for Your Sins

Critical Evaluation:
Vine Deloria, Jr., one of the most important Native American intellectuals, first achieved prominence with the publication of Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto, a collection of eleven essays and an “afterword” on a variety of topics related to American Indian social, legal, and political issues of the 1960’s. Coming at the end of a decade in which the fundamental values of American culture were being rigorously questioned, when American history was being rewritten, and when the younger generation was eagerly searching for...

Bear:

Read this Vine Deloria book first. It prepares one for his works that followed. The man was brilliant. And I am not saying that just because he was Sioux.

Peace!

TS77 :cool:

--------------
"I was born a Lakota and I shall die a Lakota.  Before the white man
came to our country, the Lakotas were a free people.  They made their own
laws and governed themselves as it seemed good to them.  The priests and
ministers tell us that we lived wickedly when we lived before the white man
came among us. Whose fault was this?  We lived right as we were taught it..,Chief Red Cloud.
 Post Number: 3
Bear Search for posts by this member.
Mohican Warrior

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2010,14:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tallsoldier77 @ Jan. 13 2010,19:06)
Bear:

"The man was brilliant. And I am not saying that just because he was Sioux."

Peace!

T.S. With a recommendation like that it becomes a must read for me.

--------------
"Our land is everything to us... I will tell you one of the things we remember on our land. We remember that our grandfathers paid for it with their lives."
 Post Number: 4
tallsoldier77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2010,14:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bear @ Jan. 13 2010,14:35)

(tallsoldier77 @ Jan. 13 2010,19:06)
Bear:

"The man was brilliant. And I am not saying that just because he was Sioux."

Peace!

T.S. With a recommendation like that it becomes a must read for me.

Bear:

I am not going to waste your time. So I will simply tell you how a Sioux feels about things, reading etc. This way you can tell people, you heard from the horses mouth, so to speak.
At any rate, I am glad you are taking an interest, good reading!

--------------
"I was born a Lakota and I shall die a Lakota.  Before the white man
came to our country, the Lakotas were a free people.  They made their own
laws and governed themselves as it seemed good to them.  The priests and
ministers tell us that we lived wickedly when we lived before the white man
came among us. Whose fault was this?  We lived right as we were taught it..,Chief Red Cloud.
 Post Number: 5
Paulus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2010,22:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vine Deloria Jr's writings...
(Quoted from Wikipedia)
Works
Aggressions of Civilization: Federal Indian Policy Since The 1880s, Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1984. ISBN 0-87722-349-1.

American Indian Policy In The Twentieth Century, Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1985. ISBN 0-8061-1897-0.
American Indians, American Justice, Austin: University of Texas Press, 1983. ISBN 0-292-73834-X.

Behind the Trail of Broken Treaties: An Indian Declaration of Independence, New York: Dell Publishing Co., 1974.

A Better Day for Indians, New York: Field Foundation, 1976.

A Brief History of the Federal Responsibility to the American Indian, Washington: Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare, 1979,

Custer Died For Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto, New York: Macmillan, 1969. ISBN 0-8061-2129-7.

For This Land: Writings on Religion in America, New York: Routledge, 1999. ISBN 0-415-92114-7.

Frank Waters: Man and Mystic, Athens: Swallow Press: Ohio University Press, 1993. ISBN 0-8040-0978-3.

Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing (with Marijo Moore), New York: Nation Books, 2003. ISBN 1-56025-511-0.

God Is Red: A Native View of Religion, Golden, Colorado: North American Press, 1994. ISBN 1-55591-176-5.

The Indian Affair, New York: Friendship Press, 1974. ISBN 0-377-00023-X.

Indians of the Pacific Northwest, New York: Doubleday, 1977. ISBN 0-385-09790-5.

The Metaphysics of Modern Existence, San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1979. ISBN 0-06-450250-3.

The Nations Within: The Past and Future of American Indian Sovereignty, New York: Pantheon Books, 1984. ISBN 0-394-72566-2.

Of Utmost Good Faith, San Francisco: Straight Arrow Books, 1971.

Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact, New York: Scibner, 1995. ISBN 0-684-80700-9.

The Red Man in the New World Drama: A Politico-legal Study with a Pageantry of American Indian History, New York: Macmillan, 1971.

Reminiscences of Vine V. Deloria, Yankton Sioux Tribe of South Dakota 1970, New York Times oral history program: American Indian oral history research project. Part II; no. 82.
The Right To Know: A Paper, Washington, D.C.: Office of Library and Information Services, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1978.

A Sender of Words: Essays in Memory of John G. Neihardt, Salt Lake City: Howe Brothers, 1984. ISBN 0-935704-22-1.

Singing For A Spirit: A Portrait of the Dakota Sioux, Santa Fe, N.M.: Clear Light Publishers, 1999. ISBN 1-57416-025-7.

Spirit and Reason: The Vine Deloria, Jr., Reader, Golden, Colorado: Fulcrum Pub, 1999. ISBN 1-55591-430-6.

Tribes, Treaties, and Constitutional Tribulations (with Wilkins, David E.), Austin: University of Texas Press, 1999. ISBN 0-292-71607-9.

We Talk, You Listen; New Tribes, New Turf, New York: Macmillan, 1970.

Evolution, Creationism, and Other Modern Myths, Golden, Colorado: Fulcrum Pub, 2002.

The Pretend Indian: Images of Native Americans in the Movies,
~~~~
He was a very prolific writer.

--------------
"I'd rather lose a clean and respectable race than to reap a shallow victory through slander..."
Ralph M. Hall

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius

Gun Facts 6.1
4 replies since Jan. 13 2010,12:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Vine Deloria Jr.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code