Beware Sin Against the Jews

by David Yeagley · January 1, 2013 · 13 Comments ·

The Bible is full of horrific accounts of Jewish rebellion against God, of intense collective aversion to the Law, and of public mockery of divine things; the scriptures are replete with a continual, studied failure of Jewish people to maintain even a semblance of genuine spirituality; the record of the Jews is tragic. But the greater tragedy is the thought that any other people would have done better. The greatest delusion of the Gentiles is that they would have performed more admirably.

It may be a natural reaction to the phenomenon of reading a silent page. The reader is automatically objective, sitting in judgment, and outside the experience depicted in written words. But, inasmuch as the Torah clearly exposes profound anti-Semitism in the heathen (Exodus 15:16, 23:27; Deuteronomy 2:25, 11:25), it is perfectly safe to say that the Gentile judges the Jew–most aversely, and, most wrongly.

A most singular, Jewish moment. Exodus 31:18.

It is the height of presumption for the Gentile to have even the notion, or the slightest intuition, that he would have behaved in a superior manner.

Christians, for example, cannot fathom how the children of Israel could have abandoned morality at the foot of Sinai, and ‘orgied’ themselves into an idolatrous frenzy so soon after seeing the flaming mountain, and hearing the very voice of the Almighty out of the fire, and feeling the earth tremble beneath them. How could the Jewish (Hebrew) people have denied their shocked senses so quickly? Has the miraculous no staying power at all? Is the polemical value of a miracle so unstable?

No. It is human nature that is ambivalent. Thus, all is equivocal.

The population of Israel was about 1.5 million at Sinai. They had grown up in Egyptian slavery (coerced labor). Miraculously delivered, they were led out into a monstrous wilderness, without the most basic natural resources as water, or food. Sinai was a cataclysmic event, to be sure, but, then Moses went up into the mountain for over a month. Their leader abandoned them. They were lost in completely unknown and harsh land, and overcome with fear. They don’t know where they are or where they are going, or what is to become of them. It was all terribly bizarre.

Survival instincts arose and prevailed. “Return to Egypt!” was the overwhelming sentiment–no doubt urged by the half-breed (“mixed”) multitude among them (cf. Exodus 12:38; Numbers 11:4). Moses had been gone forty days. That is a long time for a mass of people to remain immobile, without supplies or direction. They were stuck. The motive for patience was far outweighed by the fear of want and the anxiety of uncertainty.

Mass fear and depression became mass resolve. The appropriate response? Party! Let’s party like there is a tomorrow. We’re going back home! Enough of this aimlessness, and the oppression of nothingness. With resolute purpose, the people partied–hard.

The big party, the human solution to all ills. Hardly a Jewish invention.

Then Moses returned. The man of God, with the light of Heaven shining from his face (34:29,30), pronounced the truth of the matter. The people had blasphemed the Lord and broken the covenant.

But who would have done otherwise, given the circumstances?

We are the Jews. We are the children of Israel. They are the portion of humanity displayed before us as representative. They are on the playing field. They are our team.

But somehow, we don’t support them?! We “boo” them! We denounce them! We call them the losers! The rest of us think we’re better! We actually think we’re a grade above them. Indeed, many people think the Jews are the worst people in the world, the most fallen, the most degraded.

The equivocality of human observation is thus proclaimed. The failure of the human heart is pronounced. Forsooth, all have sinned, and come short of the glory (Romans 3:23). But that a large portion of the human race would think that it comes less short, is anathema. That the Gentile would think himself more qualified, more advanced in morality, is more shameful than any failure or delusion of which he accuses the Jew.

Be it resolved, then, as of 2013, this site, BadEagle.com, will disdain the preeminence of pagan pride. BadEagle.com will eschew the arrogance of heathen presumption.

The predilections of Jewish conspiracy over the world, the Jewish bankers, the Jewish media, etc., are perhaps a different circumstance in modernity, apart from the original function of the children of Israel. But, our resolved remains. The thought that we would do differently is ghastly. The Gentile cannot sit in judgment of the Jew. It is intolerable irony.

And the bit about the Lord wanting to destroy Israel and to start over at Sinai (Exodus 32:9,10)? Remember it was Moses through whom He proposed the regeneration. It would have been a new Jewish people, still. So, let’s not be completely silly and denounce Jews as inevitably less worthy than ourselves.

The same is true for Christ. What? We think we would have received Jesus Christ, back then? Now we’re being hilarious.

I say, beware sin against the Jews. It’s in the heart, not in the dollar.

Posted by David Yeagley · January 1, 2013 · 11:57 am CT · ·

Tags: Bad Eagle Journal · Christianity · Israel · Jews · Race · Religion

• 1 Sioux // Jan 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Happy New Year, Dr. Y!

Great piece & lots to think about. My brain isn’t working so well right now, but my hat’s off to you that yours is. Makes me think about my son who will probably marry an orthodox Jew in the next year or so– her family doesn’t accept that my son is Jewish enough for their daughter. His father is a Jew, but little ole me not, at least by heritage. I converted in 1969, but to the wishy washy Reform sect because the Orthodox & Conservative Rabbis would have nothing to do with me back then. Then about 10 years ago, I was born again and was saved by Jesus… so am I a Messianic Jew now? Or just a redeemed sinner pagan? Don’t know. But Chaya’s family insists that my son “upgrade” if they are to get married. So, the Pharisees are alive and well, living by the Rules of the Torah and the Talmud. At least they love my son and want him in the family. That’s more than I can say happened to me in 1969 with my family.

• 2 Thrasymachus // Jan 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm

“The worst, and most basic sin against the Jews is when the Gentile reads the Bible, and believes he would have behaved differently. But the greater tragedy is the thought that any other people would have done better. The greatest delusion of the Gentiles is that they would have performed more admirably.” — David Yeagley

There is not the slightest reason for any honest Gentile to believe that Gentiles would have done better. We are overwhelmed daily with positive evidence that we do not. To be fair, however, I don’t think that we would have done worse either. If that were so, God would not have made salvation available to us.

• 3 David Yeagley // Jan 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

There is some kind of psychological element in this, connected simply to reading. You read someone else’s failure, and it is tragic, maybe offensive. You are automatically shifted to some kind of innocent, yea, superior perspective. You are not the player, but only the observer.

There’s a liability in reading, especially scripture!

Or, is this just me?

• 4 Thrasymachus // Jan 2, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I have observed how strongly we can be shaped by forces beyond our control — especially during our “formative years” — that, when reading, my tendency is sometimes to see how I may have been similar to the leading character in a story, if my life had been arranged differently. Then I try to resolve the conflict that I would be experiencing.

So, for example, when I read of King David’s sin and the consequent loss of his child, I tend to think how I would have behaved had I been in his shoes.

I use literature — and not just the Bible — as a Jungian kind of therapy. Alas! When it comes to literature, I still have the imagination of a child (though not nearly so vivid and never so convincing!), so I can — but only if I consciously choose to — put myself into a story or the plot of a novel (even if I must radically alter it) and try to work out a theoretical solution.

Indeed, if there is no place for me in a story or a motion picture, because its plot and circumstances are foreign to me, it is a sure sign that the movie will be utterly boring to me — as most novels and movies are. Stories that are not about redemption and reclamation rarely interest me.

Our problem is that we rarely know ourselves. We are, in this particular sense, like Charles Dickens’ Scrooge. (It was obvious to the world that Scrooge was “unnatural” in the Shakespearean sense of that word, but he closed his eyes to this fact.) We don’t see ourselves as others see us. I ask of literature or a motion picture a mirror with which to see myself more clearly. I rarely watch a movie to be entertained.

Final comment: For me, reading is 10 times more potent a psychological tool than motion pictures — with an occasional exception to this rule.

Also, I once saw a news story — years ago when I occasionally used to watch television — about a group of adults who gathered once a week to discuss literature as a substitute for psychotherapy, all with better results than they got from their therapists. But, of course, this must depend on the kind of problem that needs to be resolved.

The modern mores of television programming make it a wasteland for me. I once could relate to the work of a Michael Landon, but not to today’s fare.

• 5 Thrasymachus // Jan 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

“But somehow, we don’t support them?! We “boo” them! We denounce them! We call them the losers! The rest of us think we’re better! ” — D.Y.

In my humble opinion, the reason many Gentiles have an issue with the Jews has little or nothing to do with their Old Testament history.

It is painful sometimes to speak what one believes to be the truth. The Jews have been scattered into all civilized nations. They quite understandably do not want to assimilate or lose their national identity. This is to be admired — yea, greatly!

But the downside of this is that most peoples among whom Jews have settled have urgently desired the assimilation of the Jews, if only in culture and national allegiance, in order to maintain social harmony and their traditional way of life. Gentile nations are frequently frustrated because Jews are not content to live as a pacifist nation, such as the Amish, within other nations. Rather, the Jews seek their own material prosperity — sometimes very aggressively — and it seems that they sometimes demand that Gentiles change their ways to suit them. When this takes place within an anti-assimilationist strategy, competition for power and resources naturally arises. So the reason people fail to support the Jews is because the Jews are generally organized to support themselves; they are viewed as perpetual outsiders who put their own group’s interests and unique culture ahead of those among whom they sojourn. The Jews will only be delivered from their dilemma when God calls them home again to their inheritance.

Now, of course, Jews are far from the only ones to do this. All manner of groups are coming to the West these days and asserting their identity and group (i.e., national origin) interests. We know, for example, that the Muslims want to overthrow Western Civilization entirely. Muslims are here to conquer.

Americans have loved the American Indian because of his historical valor, his powerful sense of nationhood, and because he was here first and has an obvious claim. Also, it is no small matter that the American Indian has behaved in a manner rather closer to the Amish model than the conquering way of countless unfriendly waves of post-1965 immigrants.

• 6 Thrasymachus // Jan 3, 2013 at 8:45 am

Early on in history we find the Jews living among the Egyptians, where they develop from a clan into a full nation. The Promise to the Jews was a homeland of their own. This is what every people on this Earth needs to survive.

In speaking of the Bible and its account of the Israelites, there can be no doubt that Gentiles would behave exactly as the Jews did. So why not support them in that situation?

• 7 David Yeagley // Jan 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Not sure how organized they were, but, there were the twelve tribes, indeed. They were not in slavery the entire sojourn in Egypt, however, but maybe half that time, the latter half?

Homeland, what every people needs to survive. Very important observation!

Funny how that, after 70 AD (CE), they were never recognized as having a nation or a homeland, until 1948. Interestingly, counting forward from year 1 (from Creation), 1,948 years from Eden is when Abram was born. (Just my calculations.)

The only other people who are scattered all over the world, with no homeland, are the Gypsies. They have never opted for a nation. It would be somewhere in northwestern India.

• 8 Sioux // Jan 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm

It’s a very interesting story as to how the Hebrews became slaves in Egypt. It took many years because originally, they came to Egypt upon the invitation of the Joseph who was the top dog in the Egyptian Administration (Jacob’s favored son). Joseph foretold there was going to be a severe drought lasting for many years, so he was put in charge of laying up provisions. As people ran out of food and money/property to buy from the Pharoah’s stores, they gave away the only thing they had left: their freedom. I would guess many “natives” were in this same boat aalong with the Hebrews. As years went on, the Pharoahs didn’t know or care about the beloved Joseph, so taking the Hebrews on as slaves was not a problem.

I see history repeating itself today in our country. Great indebtedness is upon us – Who will collect their due??? The Muslim Brotherhood?

• 9 Bonus Gift // Jan 5, 2013 at 7:02 am

DY:
    OK I’ll bite. I try to live a simple life (try is the operative word). My objective is to live by the Golden Rule, and to avoid judging more than I think is absolutely necessary (a human condition it is to judge I know; and throwing rocks and glass houses and all that). Today as I write this those that control the media do not live by the Golden Rule anymore than Diane Feinstein wants to limit my birthright because she actually thinks it will decrease the amount of violent crime. It is about power and control, not about live and let live (let alone family & honor, or even what is best for country). It is the diametric opposite of the Golden Rule and this I am not happy about. Incidentally, I don’t think I’ve ever read any part of the Old Testament and thought that one group or another would have acted morally better than another, then again they didn’t have fiat currency, political ads and ceaseless false propaganda either during those times.

• 10 rebnatan // Jan 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Wow, Thrasymachus, I am saddened to see that old anti-Semitic cabal here. We ‘aggresively seek material prosperity?’ Are you going to next promote Gandhi’s view that we should have passively let Hitler slaughter us? Everyone loves the Jews when they’re down, but when we try to climb up, we’re too aggressive. The whole world is mad at us because we refuse to let the Arabs wipe us out. Barred from land-owning, from crafts and guilds in Europe, we took to commerce, often as porters. So you’re going to hold it against us that some of us were successful. I’m going to guess that the only Jews you take note of are the financially successful ones, and you’ll ignore the vast numbers of Jews that live in poverty. I guess you’ll hold it against us that we “agressively” seek an education, whether in religious or scientific studies. Are our accomplishments a sin?
    “Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 800 individuals, of whom at least 20% were Jews, although Jews comprise less than 0.2% of the world’s population.” The Bible says our mission is to be a light unto the nations. We are, and the world is a better place for it.

• 11 Sioux // Jan 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Amen, Rebnatan – If I had any complaints, it would have to do with Isarael’s whiplash it gets when it acts like it reallly does want to survive as a nation….and then turns around and gives the enemy aid and comfort while the latter regroups to fight another day. That’s the American way now, too, but it doesn’t lead to anything good.

• 12 David Yeagley // Jan 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I have to quote a lovely Jewish lady (Aviva Lee) from New York::

It is actually very, very Dangerous for a Gentile to pass any sort of spiritual critique on a Jew. This is one of the Reasons that I am so vocal on critiquing my Brethren myself. Someone must….”

This is one of the most telling, significant comments I’ve heard from anyone on the Jewish subject.

The short dialogue is on my FaceBook posting of this same article. Have a look.

She says more.

• 13 Thrasymachus // Jan 10, 2013 at 4:41 am

rebnatan,

Your post against me is a Strawman Argument.

I never intended any of the conclusions you have suggested.