Yeagley: Shiurim Torah (Genesis 1: 1-5)

by David Yeagley · March 11, 2012 · 15 Comments ·

For my personal celebration of Purim, I have decided to present a series of lessons (shiurim) on the Torah, the Bible. I do so with simplicity, and with at least a desire for humility. (I can touch matters of intellectual activity, but, I have no bearing on matter of character. Spirituality escapes both my grasp and my expression.)

I have always been excited by Jewish rigor in thought, and originality in scripture. I offer these simple lessons in appreciation for Jewish tradition and for the sacred Word, the Torah, the Bible.

We begin at Genesis 1, or, Bereshith. These first series of shiurim included eleven lessons. These lessons cover only the first five verses, Genesis 1: 1-5. The study is patient, without any hurried attempts at understanding or conclusion. (This is related to the methodology described in the first tape.)

Each lesson is approximately 5 minutes long, for the hearer’s convenience. Enjoy!

Here is the first video, the Introduction

Shiur No. 1, Bereshith (Introduction, Methodology)

Shiur No. 2, Genesis 1: 1

Shiur No. 3, Genesis 1: 2

Shiur No. 4, Genesis 1:

Shiur No. 5, Genesis 1: 3

Shiur No. 6, Genesis 1: 4

Shiur No. 7, Genesis 1: 5

Shiur No. 8, Genesis 1: Summary & Assessment

Shiur No. 9, Genesis 1: Summary & Assessment

Shiur No.10, Genesis 1: Summary & Assessment

Shiur No.11, Genesis 1: Summary & Assessment

(I have made many tapes regarding Comanche affairs as well, and I will make a list of those also, coming soon.)

One other note: all I have to work with is a little webcam, with a very short chord. These videos are made in my office, next to my computer, near my piano, etc. A thousand pardons for the thousand-and-one distractions in the background.

NOTE: When this blog is archived, I suggest that comments and questions thenceforth be posted directly on the individual YouTube episodes. Thank you.

Posted by David Yeagley · March 11, 2012 · 5:21 pm CT · ·

Tags: Bad Eagle Journal · Conservatism · Jews · Race · Religion

• 1 Asaph // Mar 11, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I feel like I’m back in New Haven. Sabbath school.

Can we ask questions?

• 2 David Yeagley // Mar 11, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Certainly! I meant to say that. In one of the paragraphs under the latter videos (10-12?) I invite comments.

This post was just a list of the YouTubes–before there gets to be too many of them. This is group one. Genesis 1: 1-5.

You know, for a couple of musicians, we have to be quite taken aback that there is no audio to the creation story. The Lord speaks, but, there are no persons mentioned to hear His voice. Did it sound? as we understand sound?

And that first light, (before the sun was created), is that the same kind of light as that which comes from the sun?

Innumerable questions, I think all well worth asking.

• 3 Asaph // Mar 12, 2012 at 6:54 am

I’m looking forward to see how you handle some of these questions.

As far as music at the creation.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Although Genesis does not offer any information about the event, as such, I have to believe it was an enormous production to show Lucifer he could never be “like the most High.” The entire event was designed to show the rebel just how “created” he was. Perhaps his use of “all power, signs and lying wonders” at the end of time is his pitiful response to the creation week. Trying to go out with a show stopper. Sad, really. Tragic.

• 4 Asaph // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:03 am

#2 – I’m not sure I follow the methodology for obvious reasons. If these writings had Moses for an author, 2500 years of time had transpired. So, asking who or what is Elohym is kind of moot, no? If you just want to do the “zen” thing, how do you know Elohym is a “he”? You don’t know until verse 27 that God is male in reference.

• 5 Asaph // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:09 am

#2 – Heaven. Do you believe “heaven” refers to the entire universe, the basic “stars” we can see in the night sky including galaxies that appear as stars, or just the Milky Way galaxy, or a portion thereof? What is meant by “heaven?”

• 6 David Yeagley // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:13 am

Phenomenology discourages references. There will be no Job, no Psalms. no prophets. This is Genesis, and only Genesis. The object is to divorce associations, not pile them up.

I’ve employed this approach long enough that I can say it is completely trustworthy. The Bible is incredible. Just let it build on itself–in chronological order Chronology is critically important.

• 7 David Yeagley // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:15 am

Listen carefully to the chronology in the tapes. You can’t talk about certain things at this point. They’re not part of the narrative.

This is about voluntary separation (distinction) between the phenomenon (the scripture), and association(s) with it (i.e., other scripture, other reference, even psychological ‘free association’ and any ‘stream of consciousness.’)

• 8 David Yeagley // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

Listen very carefully to the tapes. I’ve addressed every question you’ve cited.

This is an exercise in patience, paying attention, and discipline–not IQ. Really. This isn’t about IQ at all. That’s something else.

This is a kind of mind-cleansing. The Word of God is truly a cleansing thing.

• 9 David Yeagley // Mar 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

I should also say, when this blog is archived, the best way to comment and question is to do so on each individual YouTube clip, directly. Things will be much more accessible there.

• 10 Maharishi of Mayhem // Mar 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

Well, I finally have you figured out.

I was sure that you were a Zen Baptist. Now I see that you are really a Southern Buddhist.

These distinctions are important.

• 11 Following Him // Mar 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Dr. Yeagley … I found it interesting that you more or less wondered why God spoke during creation since there was no one to hear. Interesting question or thought.

Could it be that God spoke so that the Apostle Paul could say … “Nothing was made that was not made by Christ.”

The Word of God became flesh … meaning Jesus. It is my belief that “the Word of God” means the words God spoke from time to time, perhaps even here in creation.

I am so glad that you have started this teaching from the Bible. I am going to digest all you have to say. Your ability to think outside of the norm has always intrigued me. I love not only your mind, your thinking and grasp of learning, but also the heart and the spirit that your knowledge comes from.

So … I look forward to hear more from you and the Lord as you share God’s Word.

Blessings my brother in Christ.

• 12 David Yeagley // Mar 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm

FH, this is a phenomenological response to scripture. I only allow Genesis, and not other references–even Biblical! (Actually, “scripture” as “inspiration” is a loaded concept in itself. So, I not really coming at this completely clean, eh?

But phenomenology is a start. (That’s what makes this so exciting–at least I think so.) We have to let the Word build on itself. We can’t even take four thousand year old human culture to contribute, or even two thousand year old Jewish culture.

Not yet. Not till we have let the Word sing, unaccompanied!

(i hope everyone can catch on to this..otherwise they will think I am more crazy than I really am!)

• 13 Following Him // Mar 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Okay Doc, I yield to the master. I had to look up the meaning of phenomenology. I thought I knew, but I wasn’t sure. “The science of phenomena as distinct from that of the nature of being. An approach that concentrates on the study of consciousness and the objects of direct experience.”

I’m sorry … I am used to letting Scripture interpret Scripture. But I do find how you are staying close to the words only used in the first five verses as your references.

This is something new to me. Thank you.

• 14 David Yeagley // Mar 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

It is new. It is a new approach, anyway, to scripture.

It is complete trust in the words (of Genesis). It is not the traditional “mix” of taking any scripture at any time to address any thing. That tradition is actually rabbinical; even people like Paul and the NT writers did that. Even Jesus did that.

But we’re not looking for doctrinal support here. We’re not trying to support a preconceived conclusion. We’re not affirming any formal abstraction.

We are, if you will, re-inventing the wheel! Only, we trust the Wheel within the Wheel will roll forth of itself.

What is a wheel? A circle in motion. The first thing that happens in scripture: “moved.” The spirit of God “moved.” Motion.

Etc.! (Thanks for your patience, FH.)

• 15 David Yeagley // Mar 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

We’re trying to find out, as much as we can, about Elohim. Divinity. God-ocity. God-ity. Whatever, whoever, God.

I think there’s more in the scripture than meets the eye, as it were.