Op-Ed Column

Randy Brogdon: A Unique Candidate

by David Yeagley · March 14, 2010 · 13 Comments ·

No doubt, Oklahoma Republican Senator Randy Brogdon is the most unusual political candidate of our time. This was never so clear until BadEagle.com interviewed the senator in his office in the Oklahoma State capitol. For the purity of his constitutionalism, the clarity and simplicity of his presentation, and the fact that he is willing to campaign in the 2010 Oklahoma gubernatorial race on such a platform, Senator Brogdon receives the Bad Eagle Award for American Patriotism.

Senator Randy Brogdon, for Governor
of Oklahoma, 2010.

Since he became a senator in 2002, Brogdon has always ranked among the top conservatives of the Oklahoma legislature. In 2009, for example, The Oklahoma Constitution gave him a cumulative score of 93. (In fact, there was only one other senator, Anthony Sykes, who was in that bracket. Sykes made 90.) Brogdon is famous in the state for HJR 1003, the Tenth Amendment Bill. Drafted with his colleague in the House, Representative Charles Key, the Tenth Amendment Bill is about recovering states rights. It simply declared the state of Oklahoma sovereign, and the state will not accept federal mandates which are not constitutional. The House passed it (83-13) in February (2009), and the Senate passed it (29-18) in April. Of course, Democrat Governor Brad Henry vetoed the bill that same month.

Brogdon is a serious leader, and he is very forthright in his thought and delivery. But, as far as BadEagle.com is concerned, it wasn’t until his ideas about Indians were apparent that we realized what a pristine patriot Brogdon really is.

In the presence of the senator and two aids, I asked, “Senator Brogdon, what can I tell the 275,000 Indians in Oklahoma so that they will vote for you?”

The senator paused for a moment, then said, “Well, I’m not really after their vote.” I was stunned. Brogdon explained. “I’m not after group votes, or special interest votes. I’m not really looking for large group endorsements.” I could not believe what I was hearing. “I believe in liberty. In freedom.”

I thought to myself, “Indians! You have just been liberated!”

“I’m interested in a certain kind of vote,” the senator continued. “I simply don’t pander the group vote. I want to see the expansion of personal liberty.”

I commented, “The groupie thing is bad by nature.”

Brogdon laughed. “That’s a good way to phrase it!”

Then the senator proceeded to express more ideas that I have never heard from any kind of candidate, in any kind of election.

“My understanding of Indian issues is limited. My view is…Indians are ‘sovereign nations,’ which, to me, means they are sovereign nations, and we shouldn’t be messing with them. You know?”

“I understand most of the Indian issues are between Indians and the federal government, worked out in compacts and treaties.”

“I don’t see Indian sovereignty as a crisis.”

This was like nothing I’d ever heard before. Brogdon explained his positions very clearly. He is campaigning only for the individual vote. He appeals to the sense of personal liberty and freedom. In this, I see Brogdon as a kind of political purifier, or a strainer. He doesn’t want conglomerates. He wants the pure, individual vote.

“There are no group rights,” he said. “There are individual, God-given rights. I do not seek political interest groups. And I’m not asking for one politician’s endorsement. I am supported by thousands of individuals who come to my website. Those are my endorsements.”

“And I always vote against special tax credits. I want lower taxes for everybody.”

Randy Brogdon is a unique candidate, indeed. And his campaign is unique, because it is based on exactly what his political values are—limiting government, and the expansion of freedom. The reason he doesn’t seek the group vote is because the group always tends toward larger government and less freedom for the individual.

His attitude toward the Indian ‘group’ is simply to leave them alone. “Don’t mess with them.” I thought about that a minute. Isn’t that what our fathers wanted, originally? Isn’t that what they said, over and over again? They just wanted to be left alone.

Well, for the ‘expanding’ white man, that was hard to do. But, at least, in the case of Randy Brogdon, the spirit is there. The principle is there. Though I was at first stunned that he did not seek the Indian vote, I felt profoundly liberated.

In a way, the concept of “equality” in this Oklahoma senator’s thinking has never been seen before in modern politics. Equality means you don’t recognize groups. You recognize individuals.

Posted by David Yeagley · March 14, 2010 · 8:50 pm CT · ·

Tags: American Indians · American Patriotism · Conservatism · Op-Ed Columns · Politics · Race · Sovereignty

Read More Op-Ed Columns »

• 1 msbobbie // Mar 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Thank you Dr. Yeagley! I am American Indian and a Randy Brogdon supporter for all of the reasons you outlined, his patriotism and his conservatism.

I have been acquainted with him for almost 5 years. He is a man of his word.

We need this man in the Governor’s office and will be working even harder in District 2 for him.

• 2 jo282271 // Mar 15, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Dr. Yeagley, I know this is kinda unrelated but I have a situation I would like your opinion on. One of my cousins is mixed race, while I’m against interracial marriage I realize it’s not his fault. But his Dad is white (scottish descent) and his mom is hispanic (dominican). What’s strange though is she is completely white skinned with freckles. It seems her family kept their bloodlines for the most part pure. My cousin has brown hair, pale white skin, and blue eyes. not only that but his facial hair is red just like his dad. He looks completely white. We were talking about different races and he told me that he considered himself white. What race do you think he should go with?

• 3 David Yeagley // Mar 16, 2010 at 8:17 am

Jo, a person is always free to choose whatever he wants to, out of his own blood lines.

However, how other people perceive you, how other people see you, think of you, and most importantly, treat you…these are the real decisive factors.

In a simple way, racially, you are what you look like. Looks is what people see, initially. Then come your ideas, your behavior, your values, etc.

• 4 David Yeagley // Mar 16, 2010 at 8:25 am

In fact, Randy Brogdon is probably part Indian himself! Most people in Oklahoma are, and have been for a century or more. From up in the northeast part of the state, I would assume he’s probably Osage.

I asked him about that, and he had no facts to present. Just grandpa stories, you know. This is the case for most native Oklahomans and their families. There’s some Indian blood in there somewhere, back when. Everyone knows it, but never really proves it. They don’t generally pursue it–unless they’re poor, dependent, white trash Democrats, and then they want to claim Indian bood for benefits.

Senator Brogdon is not a tall man, and Osage Indians are a rather large, tall breed.

I was simply stunned, refreshed, and liberated at the fact that he doesn’t seek the Indian vote. That’s means Indians are free! Free to be individuals.

I know we all consider ourselves as members of our nations, but, intellectually, spiritually, we are individuals. That is important. Brogdon allows Indians to be free and independent–as individuals, as well as nations.

• 5 David Yeagley // Mar 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

Interestingly, yesterday, for a short time, this article was listed on Google Blogs (under my name). Today, it is gone. I do hope I have not brought my liberal enemies to the Senator’s camp!

I have found Google to be liberal, inaccurate, and prejudiced. Over long observation.

UPDATE: 10:45 CT Google has restored the Brogdon article. After I observed it’s absence! I should have taken a screen shot.

• 6 jo282271 // Mar 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

Dr. Yeagley, as a southerner I know exactly how it feels to have your culture and soverignety attacked and to have to protect it. It must be a sign of releif to finally have a politician who looks at indians for what they are, a seperate nation unto themself. I beleive the comanche Indians with their great culture will live on. Unfortunatley something worse is happening to a completley different group of people. I’m a native North Carolinian and for the first time ever I feel like a foreigner in my own state. I finally realize how the Indians have felt about saving their culture. All of the cities in NC along with the surrounding areas have been overrun with our yankee “friends” from the north. Our culture is becoming endangered it really has me sad sometimes. Maybe us southerners can take a page out of the indians book and create reservations for ourself in order to preserve our culture. I”m happy that there is a politician like Sen. Brogdon who respects your right to exist, I wish the same could be said for my culture.

• 7 David Yeagley // Mar 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

You know your on course when the two largest papers in the state offer limp and inane criticism. Tulsa World and the Oklahoman are mad at Brogdon because he wants to lift the federal regulations from guns made and used in Oklahoma. It’s just another example of Brogdon’s desire to ween the state off federal focus, and the liberl media’s desire to destroy conservatism.

His bill apparently passed the senate the first week of March. I’ll have to research the final outcome. Tulsa World thinks its on a collision course with the federal government. Like, that’s the idea?

• 8 Pamela K. // May 11, 2010 at 9:54 am

It’s refreshing to read about a man who is not afraid to be a true public servant as opposed to buying time as a career politician! Ultraliberal New Jersey seems to be a special breeding ground for the latter species! Oklahoma is truly blessed to have a man like Senator Brogdon in office.

• 9 Colin Henderson // Jul 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

David Yeagley, I would like to thank you, as an Oklahoman for posting this. I am a Randy Brogdon supporter and volunteer in Lawton, OK. I am going to try to get your article into the Lawton Constitution, everyone needs to reads this. I have talked with Senator Brogdon through these last couple of months, and he and his wife have completely blown me away. Randy Brogdon is a man of great virtue.

Gob Bless America

• 10 Kat // Aug 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm

A friend sent me to another page, but I found this one in the sidebar. Only recently I learned about Randy Brogdon while looking up the family name (I am a Brogdon, too). The more I learned about him, the more I liked him. I wondered if he was part Native, too, because several of the lines were (not mine, apparently). Never met him, but I like him and am proud to have him as a distant cousin.

I agree with him about how we should leave sovereign nations alone. Have always thought so. If they have to look to the U.S. for permission to do anything, how can they be “sovereign”? And good for Randy for courting the individual vote. He’s right. Golly bum, he’s absolutely right. Good man.

• 11 calliegal235 // Oct 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm

YES! I don’t like the group thing! And I don’t like the PAC thing! I don’t get why I should give money to a PAC to represent my views, when I already pay taxes to senators and congressmen to do that! I do get that the senators and congressmen don’t always represent my views, but why pay out more to a PAC? Do they vote in my place?

• 12 raf // May 31, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thanks so much for sharing.

raf

• 13 xabachay // Aug 3, 2011 at 1:56 am

Ok, someone needs to get hot on that Cloning tech, so we can make about 544 more of him!

(House – 435, Senate 100, Supreme Court 9, 1 President)

Thanks David, very refreshing to hear someone is understanding what he’s supposed to be protecting with that Oath of Office.