Hanukkah, Nationhood, and Albania

by David Yeagley · December 11, 2009 · 27 Comments ·

Tonight begins the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah for 2009. BadEagle.com has noted this holiday many times in the past. We’ve noted, too, that it is the only major Jewish holiday which is not specifically enjoined in Torah. It commemorates a miracle said to have happened in 165 BCE, and apparently Jesus participated in the national tradition (John 10:22). We honor that national tradition, for Hanukkah celebrates the preservation of Jewish cultural identity, and all that entails.

The minora, lamp of the Hanukkah lights.

Nationhood, and its principal components, ethnicity, language, religion, and borders, is something BadEagle.com honors and seeks to understand. Recently, however, BadEagle.com was rebuked for perhaps some mistaken ideas when it comes to the nationhood of Albania. We have always supported Serbia and its obvious historical rights to it national heartland, Kosovo. We have faithfully exposed the fact that the “ethnic Albanian” invasion is strictly a Muslim aggression. We have spoken against this outrage from all sides.

However, in the most recent post, we wished not to mistakenly condemn the people of Albania, or the national historical identity. Some statements were made in our piece, Bill Clinton Honored by anti-Christian Albanian Muslims. I could even ad now that my knowledge of Albania is limited. I know that, during WWII, many Jews found a welcome refuge from the Nazis, in the mountains of Albania. And there is at least one famous author, Ismail Kadare, whom BadEagle.com has featured, particularly his works Broken April(1978) and The General of the Dead Army (1963).

Nevertheless, Julia Gorin’s Republican Riot, after posting our pro-Serbian piece, had this to say about BadEagle.com’s intended, positive objectivity toward Albanian people:

In fact, it is distinctly Albanianism that causes Albanians to behave as they do. The usurpation, the supremacy, the irrationality, the historical and intellectual dishonesty, the Albanian blood code with its honor killings — and at least a dozen other qualities that Albanianism shares with Islam — have been in the Albanian culture since well before Islam introduced itself to this people as the next avenue to promote Albanianism. Now, imagine Albanianism compounded by Islam. Well, we don’t have to imagine.

Thus, Ms. Gorin gives no quarter to Albanian people in the matter of Kosovo (or any other matter). She does not distinguish between Albanians and Islam, nor hold Islam responsible for Albanian social behavior.

As for “fascinating” Albania, it was a key player in the Kosovo theft, without benefit of Islamic guidance — but always accepting its favors and benefits. Albania is as wily as Islam itself, and has always angled itself for the best possible position, devoid of any principles other than the promotion of Greater Albania. Albania accepted patronage from the Ottomans, then from Hitler, then from the Soviets, and now from us. Albanians’ Slav-killing never needed any additional fuel from their strategic adoption of Islam. But it certainly helped.

So you see, Albanians are incapable of forgetting their nationhood. They have never, and will never, forget who they are. And what they are is whatever you want them to be if you help promote Albanian supremacy.

This is quite ‘heavy,’ I must say. Again, BadEagle.com is not expert in all ethnic affairs, and that’s why we have a web site, and ninety some forums. We seek understanding and contribution from those who are more versed, more experienced, and more knowledgeable. I perceive a good deal of “will to power” in each of the Balkan ethnicities, I must say. I find Albania remote, mysterious, intriguing, and fascinating. But, this is a personal, psychological view, not an informed political view. I merely note that Western media has never noted the Muslim factor in the “ethnic Albanian” invasion of Serbia. I will here also note that Kadare’s Broken April, while about the very subject of honor killing, has not one mention of Islam. Also, the honor killing in the novel has nothing to do with a breech of religious belief or custom.

And so we continue with our quest for the true understanding and honor of nationalism. In the divine logistics of communication, it seemed meet that the human race should be divided. Thus saith the Torah (Genesis 11:1-9; Deuteronomy 32:7-9), and the Apostle Paul (Acts 17:24-27), quoting Deuteronomy. Even if nationhood is ‘plan B,’ even if ethnicity is a tactic in the employ of His service, do we not well to take note, and render the proper honor, and indeed praise? Whatever nationhood “causes” in the way of strife among human beings, the ranks of believers ought to have at least a basic understanding of the game plan. For this cause, BadEagle.com continues the quest. We truly thank every contributor for his wisdom, and her passion, and for the interest of all.

Thank you, Julia Gorin.

Posted by David Yeagley · December 11, 2009 · 4:28 pm CT · ·

Tags: Bad Eagle Journal · Eastern Europe · Islam · Politics · Race

• 1 caleo // Dec 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Well I’ll get it started. I know many Albanians in New York, both Kosovar and from Albania and they are Great people. I LOVE them. Their culture and strength reminds me much of Southern Italian and Sicilian culture and spirit. Ms.Gorin uses strong language in her condemnation, and frankly sounds the same as white power fools do when they rattle on about Jews. Ms. Gorin uses much of the same language. And what’s wrong with Albanians doing everything in their power to promote their culture and protect their diaspora. Would Ms. Gorin prefer that they support Greater Poland as opposed to a Greater Albania ???Her hatred shines through, and it seems misplaced to me. You name a tribe in Europe ( that still has pride and a strong sense of community ) that doesn’t do everything she accuses the Albanians of doing.

• 2 John Sandusky // Dec 12, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Joe Lieberman, Orthodox Jewish Senator from Connecticut (John McCain’s good buddy) knows how to keep the Sabbath and the spirit of Jewish thought and deed in America alive and well . . . since he does not use a car on the Sabbath, he walked to the senate over three miles from his synagogue to cast the needed 60th vote in favor of a massive federal omnibus spending bill.

The bill provides a 10% pay increase for federal workers.

Obviously, Joe and all the rest of the morons that voted for the spending bill, don’t take Moody’s very seriously. Moody’s the bond rating company recently said that expanding federal debt could lower the triple A rating of federal bonds.

• 3 David Yeagley // Dec 12, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Caleo, here’s how I see the Balkans:

Serbia is the dominant “tribe.” That whole “Yugoslavia” experiment was basically Serbia, Serbian control. The underdogs have resented Seriba for that, of course.

Serbia had the strength to dominate, but, the world interfered. Russia, the United States, the “UN,” etc. Serbia was never allowed its strength. The greater world powers always stepped in and interfered. That’s exactly what this Albanian aggressions is all about. Serbia could have controlled the situation, but was not allowed to. I haveno respect for Albania in this Muslims aggressions bit in Kosovo. Kosovo belongs to Serbia. This is a case of international robbery, of a white Christian nation, by the “darkie” Muslim aggressor–which would never, ever have been powerful enough to even think of taking anything from Serbia. But the world–and shamefully including the United States, would take from Serbia, and give to MUSLIMS! I despise this.

Now, maybe I’ve over-dramatized it, or generalized it, or over-simplified it. But, this is my sense of what has happened:

Lesson: don’t let foreigners immigrate in large numbers. They’ll presume the land is theirs!–just because they are there living on it. And the liberals and globalists (which includes some so-called conservatives) will support the immigrant-invaders!!!

Perhaps this is a hopelessly American Indian view…

• 4 David Yeagley // Dec 12, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Sandusky, I’m assuming this vote was simply to end debate. It isn’t the vote on the bill itself.

• 5 caleo // Dec 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I agree that handing Kosovo over was an orchestrated farce. No argument there. As far as the ” darkies ” are concerned, I personally know a half dozen Kosovar Albanians, and EVERY ONE of them has blond hair and blue eyes. NONE of the Albanians I know are strict Muslims in any sense of the word. They are all completely secularized ( like all the Israelis I know ) and Islam is incidental to their life. As far as people immigrating into Serbia, well , the ancestors of all the tribes we’re discussing have been moving to and fro around the Balkans for thousands of years. Hard to pin down exact boundaries in respect to the Balkans. But again I agree that the Western powers should have stayed out of this. But I certainly can’t lump the Shqip in with the general Muslim invasion of Europe since they already are Europeans, and you won’t meet a stronger or prouder WHITE tribe in Europe. They are NOT pro Arab and would never allow themselves to be absorbed into some faceless Islamic horde. I don’t blame the Kosovar Shqip from taking advantage of the offer, and the Albanian Mafia will be running the show. That much is known to the U.S. So go figure what their rationale was in this giveaway.

• 6 John Sandusky // Dec 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm

“Shabbat shalom,” Mr. Lieberman said in the traditional Sabbath greeting as he entered the Senate chamber still wearing his jacket and scarf.

Lieberman to the Democrats rescue.

Had Lieberman not voted the way he did, this bill as well as the health care bill would be dead on arrival.

The only time Lieberman acts like a conservative, Orthodox Jew is when Israel is at stake — never when America is at stake.

Senate Clears the Way

Correction: Federal employees get a 2% pay increase — SSI recipients get nothing.

• 7 John Sandusky // Dec 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm

“Their culture and strength reminds me much of Southern Italian and Sicilian culture and spirit.”

Bravo Caleo! By Joe, me thinks he “may” get it.

Sicily was not a part of Italy until after World War I. Its almost like assuming that Hawaiians are American, or Puerto Rico is a state. While Sicily is now part of Italy, and Hawaii and Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are now part of the United States, you would never think to say “Puerto Rican, isn’t that American”. Things between empires have not changed much from Ancient and Medieval history. While India was British occupied and while Rome ruled the world, each culture, nation and region still had their own identity.

Sicilians are not Italians; they are Sicilians living in a province of Italy.

• 8 caleo // Dec 13, 2009 at 12:17 am

Yeah, John I guess you didn’t see that my name is Italian. Half my family is Sicilian and my line came from Salerno, south of Napoli. No need to tell me what’s up with Italian/Sicilian culture. In fact, since I mentioned this in another comment section you were on, I’m insulted. And seeing your last name, I KNOW your not an expert, at least not through direct personal experience. So exactly what is your point and what ” may ” I almost get ??? Please elaborate, and spare me the juvenile comparisons. Your talking about my family’s culture. I know it INTIMATELY.

• 9 John Sandusky // Dec 13, 2009 at 1:00 am

A family culture that you’re so knowledgeable and proud of, and yet don’t instinctively use the capital “C” when spelling your surname.

Italians and Indians have one thing in common . . . everybody claims to be one, or have a portion of their blood.

How do you know Sandusky wasn’t Americanized and I’m not Italian myself?

• 10 caleo // Dec 13, 2009 at 9:01 am

Well now I know your just an asshole trying to instigate. So somehow my lack of capitalization means I’m not Italian ??? Grow up clown. And MOST Americans DO NOT claim Italian ancestry.No Italian , however Americanized they are, would have Sandusky as a last name. By the way, if you live anywhere near NYC, let me know, and we can meet face to face and I’ll let you know just how much of a real guinea I am. I’m serious. Done with this site.

• 11 David Yeagley // Dec 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

Caleo, I know Albanians are white. (Quite smart-looking, often!) However, I see the Muslim thing as a third world “darkie” movement. Anti-white, anti-West, anti-Christian.

And the KLA is full of Turks and Arabs. That’s what created the separatist movement. The whole thing is crooked, through and through. Proud Albanians should protest themselves! This Kosovo thing is a black mark on their national pride, as far as I’m concerned. It is perfectly hideous.

Now, an interesting topic is Albanian Gypsies! Isabel Fonseca’s Bury Me Standing is a dandy work on the subject of gypsies. She said she was an old hound at travelling in Eastern Europe, but, when it came to Albania, she had to have a guide! “Remote and unknowable as Tibet,” she said of Albania.

In any case, the “ethnic Albanian Kosovo” movement is a manipulation of greater world powers outside the Balkans, and it most definitely a Muslim operation. White liberals, of course, are at the helm, working with the dark Muslims from elsewhere.

• 12 caleo // Dec 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

No question the KLA is chock full of non-Shqip, looking for any excuse to kill the infidel. But my information, coming from Kosovar Albanians, is that the Albanian Mafia has been openly running Kosovo for some time, and they have strong ties with other criminal groups in Eastern and Southern Europe. And again, the U.S. knows this, and gave them legal control anyway. Chess, anyone ???

• 13 John Sandusky // Dec 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

“By the way, if you live anywhere near NYC, let me know, and we can meet face to face and I’ll let you know just how much of a real guinea I am. I’m serious.”

Oh! I’m convinced now that truly you are a . . .Guinea . . .

The threat of violence is a mainstay of your culture.

“Brother,” I know more about the Italian culture than most Italians.

I must run, Huckabee, just started.

• 14 David Yeagley // Dec 13, 2009 at 7:28 pm

While we’re on the subject of culture, here’s a suggested solution:

Could this beauty be an Albanian gypsy?

Don’t know whom to give credit for this masterpiece. It’s on the cover of the 1995 paperback edition of Fonseca’s book, Bury Me Standing, mentioned above.

• 15 caleo // Dec 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm

It’s an excellent book, although I read it when it came out, thus don’t remember everything. But the Romany are an interesting tribe. Starting out in Rajasthan, then making their way to almost every corner of Europe, and Egypt and Turkey as well. Their language is unquestionably Indo-European, but their inherent rootlessness and “otherness” opened them to frequent attack. On some level I think they reflected the lifestyle that ALL European tribes once lived, and the reflection was too much for Europe to take. Great Photo.

• 16 caleo // Dec 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm

And to Giovanni Sandusky,
    You may know more than many Italians, but that doesn’t include me. And as many “facts ” as you may possess, the lived experience of even the most ignorant greaseball counts for more than a stack of books, brother.

• 17 David Yeagley // Dec 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Every young man needs to have the experience of playing on a local Neopolitan soccer club. Or at least haning around them for a good while. That’s what I did. I still have the uniform: New Haven City Italians. They let me play in exactly one game, during one season. The reast of the time it was just working out with them, hanging out.

It’s true that early American authors had their impressions of Italians, like Hawthorne, Poe, etc., which they wrote about dramatically. True, that early stereotypes are a bit hard to crack. (Especially when the entertainment world has made millions of the perpetuation and aggrandizement of those same stereotypes!) But, learning these things by personal experience, one can find a fascinating world.

• 18 David Yeagley // Dec 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Just a closer look at Julia Gorin’s web site.. Wow. She’s is definitely not into Albania.

• 19 John Sandusky // Dec 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Nothing could be more narrow a study of a voluminous, varied, spectacular culture, than that of only ones life experiences.

I wish I had a scanner and actually knew how to work one . . . I’d show photos of Italy that are not those of a mere tourist.

Italian wannabe, stop causing a tumult on this peace loving Comanche’s blog.

• 20 caleo // Dec 14, 2009 at 12:37 am

Your a funny little man John. I ” wannabe” nothing. I AM Salernese. And you will always be an outsider to a culture that no amount of books and photos will ever get you inside of. My uncle Tony calls people like you ” mayonnaise face “. You are the wannabe. My Gramma called guys like you ” bianco culo “. And that is what you are and will always be.
    Mr. Yeagley had some very perceptive descriptions of his time among various Italians and Sicilians. All you do is recite dry facts and use facile comparisons. YOU ARE NOT INSIDE OF IT John. I’m glad you appreciate my people and the various shades of our great culture, but no amount of photo taking on your tourist jaunts will get you inside the SOULS of a mighty and beautiful nation. And if you did manage to stumble in, a poor boy like you would drown in the rich depths of our race.

• 21 whitetrash // Dec 14, 2009 at 9:36 am

One thing I have noticed about Italians… they sure do like to talk about being Italian.

• 22 MariaAnastasia // Dec 14, 2009 at 10:41 am

whitetrash: Why is that a problem?

• 23 David Yeagley // Dec 14, 2009 at 10:57 am

I ain’t a problem here! Ha!

I have to say, though, for a good while, we had a character by the handle of GreetingsMySon. Calabrian, he claimed. He offended every Italian on BadEagle.com, finally, and had the roost to himself, so to speak. Finally, unable to convince everyone to bow to the Italian Roman Catholic identity, he tired and left the site.

There was at least one other Italian who challenged GMS strongly. Both are absent at this point.

Personally, I enjoyed the fight immensely! But, that’s because I love Italians. Everyone else on the site was digusted–included Italians- several of whom wrote me off line and said Please get rid of that GMS!! Ha!

What’s an Oklahoma Indian to do?

• 24 whitetrash // Dec 14, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Ah yes… GMS. He was my favorite trustfunder. He talked a lot about being Italian too. I can understand why other Italians were not flattered by the association.

He was entertaining though. Kind of like a cartoon.

• 25 whitetrash // Dec 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm

MariaAnastasia: It’s not a problem at all. Just an observation of an ethnic quirk. I’ve know lots of Italians, and that’s just how they roll. No harm in it.

Scots Irish rednecks for example, don’t talk about being rednecks. We just live the dream and assume the glory of our culture is self evident to anybody who can appreciate chainsaw art..

• 26 Hanukkah, Nationhood, and Albania | Albania News BaVaBa // Dec 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm

[...] this link: Hanukkah, Nationhood, and Albania Share and [...]

• 27 David Yeagley // Dec 14, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I guess there’s a cheapskate in every thread…I usually delete them…

BaVaBa. Let’s see. Are we making enemies amongst the Albanians?