Op-Ed Column

“Fighting Sioux” Forever!

by David Yeagley · July 17, 2009 · 11 Comments ·

Removing American Indian mascots is a hate crime–against Indians. Removing the symbol of American Indian warriors is a legally specific hate crime. It is designed to efface the honor and memory of the American Indian.

I presented this idea to Attorney Drew Wrigley, North Dakota’s new US Attorney. The former deputy chief of staff for Governor John Hoeven was hosting Scott Hennen’s radio show, Tuesday, July 7, 2009. I was a guest, invited to discuss the renewed “Fighting Sioux” issue in North Dakota. The state Board of Higher Education has voted to condemn the use of “Fighting Sioux” logo, again. This most famous Indian mascot, used by the University of North Dakota since the 1930′s, has once again become the target of Communist dictators—otherwise known as “committees.”

“The Fighting Sioux,” the official emblem of the University of North Dakota. Removing it is a hate crime against Indians.

When I first entered the work of political commentary in 2001, the “Fighting Sioux” issue was hot. I was on the old Hannity & Colmes show, discussing it with Russell Means. He called the use of Indian sports logos “hate speech.” I say removing these historical images a hate crime.

My suggestion to Attorney Wrigley is to file suit against the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education.

Removing Indian names and images from public view is equivalent to disallowing Indians from public places. It is racial prejudice of the most visceral kind. This should be obvious, and would be obvious, but for the distorted, surreal views of committee tyrannists. Not only do they care nothing for Indians, but they actively work to destroy the last visible vestige of Indian pride. They don’t want Indians to be seen, heard, or even known about.

I must add, the current individual in the White House, the prevaricating, pretentious, alien black African Communist, has not appointed a single Indian to any significant office. He is happy to be honored by a handful of Indian leaders, but he will never honor Indians, in any way. The Negro will never allow any other “minority” to steal the show. This is the day of the Negro in America. Oh, Barry will appoint a “Hispanic” (whatever that is) here and there, but, that’s all about votes, not honor.

Communists only “use” race. They do not honor race. They wish to destroy the integrity of race. They wish to destroy the presence of race. This is a fundamental rule of the Communist play book. “Racial agitation” is merely the political use of race, not for the benefit of race or for its promotion, and least of all for the preservation of race.

“The Fighting Sioux” represents everything Communists loathe. It also represents everything feminists envy and hate. In the case of the University of North Dakota, one of the main racial agitators is white feminist Lucy Ganje. Career opponent of the Fighting Sioux, Ganje is on the steering committee of Equality North Dakota, the homosexual advocacy group. Ganje is in UND’s art department, not the psychology or sociology departments, not the Native American Studies department, yet she presumes to be the spokesperson for Indians.

This kind of mis-qualification seems typical in Indian activism. The vomitable trail of white Ward Churchill certainly reeked of the same academic stench, for which he was finally fired from the University of Colorado. (And considering the incredible lack of qualifications evident in the appointees of Barry Soetoro, a.k.a. “Barack Hussein Obama,” we can say such misqualification is typical of all racial activism.)

Communists are compulsory tyrannists. They don’t believe in choice or freedom. They want control. They want to tell others what to do. In the case of the “Fighting Sioux,” however, they may have made their case too obvious. Indians just aren’t like everyone else. Indians have refused to be told what to do since the beginning of American history. Even in tactical defeat, Indians refused to cease being Indian. Indians have refused to make participation in American society their first priority. Indians will not be removed, nor will they have their honor removed.

If handled correctly, by law, the state of North Dakota, home of the Sioux, stands in a position to preserve not only the honor of the American Indian, but the honor of America. It would be a landmark case for the state to sue its own Board of Higher Education for a hate crime. This needs to happen. It is a matter of states rights over Communist committees—which represent only their own prejudices at the expense of the vast majority.

“The Fighting Sioux,” forever! America, forever. Freedom, forever.

Posted by David Yeagley · July 17, 2009 · 10:14 am CT · ·

Tags: American Indians · Communism · Mascots · Op-Ed Columns · Politics · Race · Sports

Read More Op-Ed Columns »

• 1 David Yeagley // Jul 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

An audio of the interview is posted on Nick Tahchawwickah’s Comanche family website, Maruawe. (Scroll down to the middle. It is currently on the home page.)

• 2 David Yeagley // Jul 17, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Good news:

UND nickname proponents hope for Standing Rock referendum

• 3 howard // Aug 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I disagree with you sir. Whites are so guilt ridden that they name the universities that their ancestors built after Indians. As a White advocate I would like to see the school change the name to Aryan Warriors, Viking Warriors or Highlanders. The descendants of these warrior groups creating the greatest civilizations in the world. Although the school will probably change their name to the Obama’s before they change it to anything else.

• 4 ineedmychange // Aug 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

I dont understand why you would want to erase the names of American Indians from public or their symbols. You are not just some part of a historical past, but alive and well in the 21st Century. Removal of the names is like saying we want to fade away and not make anyone aware we still exist-we are here!!. Thru courage and strong will you have survived some of the harshest atrocities in US History. Using a tribal name or symbol is not to reflect negativity but to honor your strenght, courage and endurance thru time. And for those tribes that are extinct from the time the white man came here we should see more of their names used in public so they will not be forgotten – maybe generate someones curiousity to learn more about a tribe or people. You are the FIRST AMERICANS and should not be the invisible Americans.

• 5 Art // Aug 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm

David, heartily I agree. To be chosen a school mascot is an honor, not a denigration.

What school picks a sloth or a roach or a tick to represent themselves? No, they commonly choose eagles, hawks, tigers and stallions, noble beasts projecting strength and speed and tenacity and courage. When they choose an Indian mascot, they choose him for the same reason. And, thereby, show him honor.

Dennis Prager, a conservative Jewish talk show host, discusses this issue saying how he would dearly love the Jews to have enough fans they could be picked as someone’s mascot. How great it would be, he says, to be sitting in the stands hearing the thunderous roar of of the crowd shouting, “Go Jews Go! … Go Jews Go!”

As Americans, we all come from diverse backgrounds. It can only lead to conflict when governmental entities involve themselves in dictating methods we must follow to protect everyone from being “offended.”

It is instructive to observe that those who least know how to live in peace and harmony with each other are the first to tell us what we must say and how we must act. This is not coincidence.

The scriptures reveal that those who best understand the way for people to live together are not easily offended. And experience teaches us the converse: that those who are so easily offended, least know how to live. Why would we be such fools as to heed their advice?

• 6 Douglas Whitman // Aug 17, 2009 at 5:55 pm

David,

The American Indians were amazing people — tough and resourceful. They created diverse technologies that allowed them to thrive throughout the varied environments of North America, from icy Alaska to hot and dry Arizona deserts. America should continue to honor them on coins, in town, county, & state names, on stamps, in museums and of course in their modern-day communities. Although I am only part Native American, my heart swells with pride when I see images of Native Americans. I am especially proud and honored to have athletic teams named after Native Americans.

Please help stop the attempt by communists and one-worlders to erase the memory of Native Americans by outlawing any mention of them. To survive as a group, Native Americans must maintain some separation. The attempt to completely “integrate” and blend all races and ethnicities into one giant multicultural blend will destroy Native Americans forever.

• 7 Yeagley does it again! « Thewhitechrist’s Weblog // Aug 18, 2009 at 6:57 pm

[...] -       http://www.badeagle.com/2009/07/17/fighting-sioux-forever/ [...]

• 8 bettyboop // Sep 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Great site and topic! I feel so fortunate to have found you!

I can speak on this as clearly or more clearly than anyone as I have a degree from UND and was proud to be a Fighting Sioux. I was so surprised when I found out that some American Indians thought our school was disrespectful. A ton of Am. Ind., esp Cherokee and Sioux attend there and I, myself, took Am. Ind. study courses and had Am. Ind. teachers. I even talked my fiance into attending them with me!

UND white students accept Am. Ind. students as their own. There is no disrespect, in fact, if anything there is a distance toward white students from Am. Ind. students, not the other way around. I, myself, was so intrigued by them and history and found myself wishing I had some Ind. blood in me – they had such beautiful hair!!!!

Anyway, finally, I became so upset with all this anti-white (I felt) sentiment with the logo of the Fighting Sioux that I finally decided, fine, if they want UND to get rid of the Fighting Sioux symbol then let them win. If they don’t appreciate being “worshipped” and are not proud that a great school chose their heritage over every single mascot out there – fine, UND can pick anything else.

It’s really too bad. The new hockey arena has the mascot – even in gold, everywhere. The cost is going to outrageous – such a waste of money.

When I moved away from N.D. I was always wondering – where’s all the Indians??? I missed seeing them…Well, now UND has to join in and wash away more symbolism of the great Am. Ind. – The Great Fighting Sioux.

Lord knows what they will pick next.

• 9 manvelkid79 // Oct 17, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Living so far away from Grand Forks, I had lost touch with the severity of the debate to change our nickname. All the opinions that I have come across out here point to the state board and ncaa getting their wish of removing one of the longest standing traditions in this country. I honestly feel like this is a glorified witch hunt that the ncaa deemed prudent for a more “unified” campus. Well, I grew up watching the Sioux. I went to UND. My parents still live in Forks. I have never seen any instance of racism stemming from the Sioux nickname. Maybe I’m naive, but this whole thing seems to have sparked an inferno of controversy that I think is unfair to all involved.

It was very refreshing to get a point of view like yours, David, and I can only hope that reason will prevail and this topic will be resolved correctly.

• 10 wyattearp // Apr 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

a SIOUX head adorned the famous LAYAFATE ESCUDRILLE nieuport fighter aircraft when they joined the battle in 1916. This squadron of volunteers were the first AMERICANS to see combat in “THE GREAT WAR”.

WYATT

• 11 wyattearp // Apr 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

also, during the second round(WW2) it is interesting to note that that the LUFTWAFFE’S radio code word for AMERICAN fighter escorts was “ACHTUNG! INDIANER!)

WYATT