Did Hannity Go Liberal on Manning?

by David Yeagley · March 26, 2008 · 24 Comments ·

Radio Host Sean Hannity

Today (March 26, 2008) on Sean Hannity’s radio show, Hannity played Pastor James D. Manning’s YouTube sermon against Barrak Hussein Obama, and had Pastor Manning on as a guest. Manning is finally making it to the big time. BadEagle.com didn’t post the sermon until Sunday, March 23. We received notice of the clip from email notice, Friday, March 21. No doubt, Manning will find more of a voice in media.

The Rev. Dr. James D. Manning, of the Atlah
World Missionary Church, 38 West 123rd
Street, ATLAH, New York 10027
Tel: (212) 427-2839
Toll Free: (877) 777-0734

But Hannity did not like Manning’s voice. Hannity spent the entire interview condemning Manning for his words against Obama. No, Hannity is not for Obama in any way, but, Hannity was ostensibly “hurt” by Mannings words. Manning said Obama was a pimp, and a Mac-Daddy. Manning said he didn’t trash Obama, but that Obama was born trash. Manning called Obama’s father a ‘African in heat’ who went “a whoring after a white trash woman.” Hannity was deeply troubled, as the Democrats say. Hurt, offended, repulsed. He didn’t want to hear anything Manning had to say, really. He wanted to rebuke the black pastor for using such “hurtful” language. He judged the pastor as unchristian, hateful, and in great error for using such language. Hannity invoked “Christian” values, and could not accept that another Christian would talk this way about another man. He interrupted Manning every time Manning tried to put his words and sermon in context.

In short, Hannity acted like a liberal. Hannity acted like a white-collar liberal, a wimp, afraid to use words that “hurt.” Like, all the problems in the world can be solved as long as we don’t “hurt” anyone with negative words–which, of course, implies that no one is doing anything hurtful out there. I was not completely surprised, though. The average white person is hearing typical black preaching for the first time, now that Obama’s Pastor Wright has been presented to the media, and now that Pastor Manning is on the media stage. Hannity obviously hasn’t heard any black preaching before.

I myself was not surprised or “shocked” by either Wright or Manning. I attended a black Seventh-day Adventist church for four years when I was in school. Now, I never heard political issues preached about, nor heard any such language, but, the screaming style, yes. I grew quite accustomed to that. It is style, nothing else. So, I should consider what people feel like when they hear this style for the first time. The hysteria, the screaming, is not “hate.” It is style of delivery. Naive white boys in the media think the emotion is “hate.” You scream when you’re mad, when you’re going to take action, when you’re infuriated. Black preachers scream when they’re preaching. That’s all. Typically. The social context of the black preacher is the missing factor here. White people in media apparently know nothing of this.

But, Hannity was manoeuvering. He wanted to show that, though he is conservative, though he has no affinity with Obama’s ideas, Hannity would never “trash” Obama personally by saying his mother was white trash. Hannity’s conservatism is above street level talk, or whatever kind of talk he thinks Manning was talking. Hannity showed more ignorance than substance. His substance was simply liberal talk. He used liberal rules–the very rules that have gotten America in the impossible social fixes it is in–when he talked to Manning. Moreover, Hannity invoked Christianity as his authority to do so! Thus, Hannity gave liberalism’s “political correctness” the blessing of Christianity. Upside down irony it was.

I think it was a major revelation, not of Manning, but of Hannity. Hannity’s a good man, and a good guy. I don’t think anyone questions that. But, in his white glove approach, in his dominant rebuke of his guest, Hannity showed that, at least as a radio host, and probably in his personal life, he really doesn’t go for the language Manning used. Hannity accused Manning of racism, openly. I’m saying this is the liberal definition of racism–names.

I grew up in Oklahoma. Red Man country, home of the “red necks,” I suppose. I’ve heard name calling all my life. I grew up being called names. My brothers and I became artists at it, practicing on one another. It was part of life, to be able to call someone a name, if it was appropriate and profitable. I personally do not have the reaction of “hurt” when I am called a name. Frankly, it reminds me of home. In other words, it was only fun. It was sport. Just something brothers do. It wasn’t a serious thing.

Pimp, white trash, Mac-Daddy, whatever. These are sporting names. These are sociological stereotypes. All stereotypes have a basis in reality of some kind. They don’t come from the sky. They don’t fall out of trees. They are born in the human perception, sprouted on the human tongue. Sure, there are different levels of development. There are different dimensions of reality. But names are all we have. Adam was called upon to name every living thing. (Genesis 2:19.)

There are sinful realities here on this earth now. There are goings on that are despicable. There are men that use women to make money. We call such a man a pimp, or a whore-master. Is there a better name for this? Is “sinner” more respectful. Ah, but liberals would denounce that as “biblical” or “prejudicial.” Mustn’t say anything anyone is doing is bad, negative, or harmful. That would be “hurtful.” So, everybody’s fine, happy, and there are no problems.

Well, Pastor Manning’s words mean much to many people. His hope, of course, is that they mean something to black people. He tried to tell Hannity that. But Hannity just wasn’t tuned in to Manning. He was turn offed by the words in Manning’s sermon, and had no ear for anything Manning had to say.

Here’s the latest example of what Manning was talking about: Obama Girl II. Room for everyone, apparently. Politics is about entertainment. Hannity wants to criticize black preaching style?!

Posted by David Yeagley · March 26, 2008 · 4:43 pm CT · ·

• 1 Layla // Mar 26, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Hannity and Bill O’Riley both jump on the politically correct wagon all the time, that must be what happens when ones own ego gets so big that anyone elses opinion becomes moot…even if they agree with an opinion it needs their Midas touch(spin) to make it gold…Rev. Manning’s sermons are spoken(screamed) exactly as they should be, these politically correct wanna be conservative white boys should shut their traps and listen to what a real man has to say for a change…

• 2 David Yeagley // Mar 26, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Well, Hannity just isn’t famliar with the black style of preachin’ and carryin’ on. I guess O’Reilly probably isn’t either.

I just happen to be. Does matter in how you interpret things…

Talk show hosts, especially at their level, develop a kind of personality that is…very intereasting. It’s a new thing, really. In the last couple of decades. I’m not sure what kind of talent it really is. It’s somthing, for sure, but, what?

• 3 bsing // Mar 26, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Wow do you have it all wrong again, typically.

You confuse simple human decency with liberalism, not there is much difference between the two. You confuse respect with liberalism, again I reiterate not much difference between the two.

You revert to stereotype as a way to simple mindedly refer to whole swaths of people. It is accusation really. You cannot know a person simply by the color of his skin, but you choose to. This is racism incarnate. It’s behavior from the fifties, and it is wrong.

I’m the last one to jump on the Hannity bandwagon, far from it, but at the very least, this man seemingly understands the concept of christianity. He understands his conservatism and it doesn’t seem to be rooted in racism. There may be some limitation in his ability to see outside his scope as a wealthy white man, but that’s a whole other matter.

The fact that you and your brother used to call each other racist names and you still consider it “sporting” says a lot about you and your self hatred. You sadly are accustomed to this type of behavior. You sadly believe you deserve this type of name-calling. This illuminates a bit about you.

• 4 David Yeagley // Mar 26, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Thank you for your acute insights, bsing. I’m in awe that you should have grown up in such an heavenly environment as you suggest. I am impressed by your obvious superiority on all asides, and the candor and ease with which you praise yourself.

We are honored by your angelic presence.
    Thank you again.

Now try again with some substantial thought, instead of subjective manipulation of perspective. Think regional, think environment, think demographics.

So, you find fault with Wright and Manning do you? Who’s loathing whom here? Manning certainly has a lot to say about the weaknesses of black people–to whom his words were addressed. Do you object?

This is the issue. Address that, if you can.

• 5 bsing // Mar 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I’ve already addressed the issue. Did you not just read it? Just because you disagree doesn’t mean the issue wasn’t made.

As far as Manning, why would that not surprise me that you would agree with him? After all you and he have a lot in common it seems, at least on the surface. A bit of the old self hatred perhaps?

Now where did I praise myself?

Nice touch on the “we” are honored by your presence, an effort to get the crowd on your side. I wasn’t addressing anyone else but you, unless you had help writing this post?

The issue has been addressed. Understand it, if you can!

• 6 whitetrash // Mar 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I reckon my response to Manning and the whole “African in heat Daddy and the White Trash mama” amounts to complete indifference. As near as I can tell, the only difference between a white bigot and a bigot “of color” is that the bigot of color feels justified by the supremacy of the white bigot. Multi-Cultism is predicated on this fact and feeds on it. It’s just easier to lay the whole putrid mess at the feet of conservatives, so that’s what most talking heads in the media do, unless they aim to be “controversial.”

Judging this guy by who his parents are seems un-American to me. As far as I can tell, the man is intelligent, decent and remarkably poised. That’s all I really know about this cat, but it’s enough to allow me to dismiss this endless chatter about the guy’s genetic composition. He’s clearly a better bet than Clinton, if one is inclined to consider character, and I’m certain her “breeding” is much more palpable to white bigots and bigots “of color” alike.

• 7 "Greetings, my son! // Mar 27, 2008 at 1:27 am

Hussein smokes 3 packs of Marlboros a day — so much for Puff-Daddy’s intelligence and self control.

• 8 "Greetings, my son! // Mar 27, 2008 at 1:27 am

• 9 Natty Bumppo // Mar 27, 2008 at 2:09 am

Michael Savage quoting Booker T. Washington and playing clips of Reverend Manning to back up Mr. Washington’s quote.

• 10 Natty Bumppo // Mar 27, 2008 at 2:30 am

“Pastor Manning drops an A-bomb.”

AMEN, BROTHA! ALLELUIA, CHRIST IS RISEN!

“WAKE UP! WAKE UP!”, screamed the Pastor.

• 11 Natty Bumppo // Mar 27, 2008 at 2:41 am

Pastor Manning expounds on Rap music and the lack of honor among his people.

I’m just letting him speak for himself.

• 12 Natty Bumppo // Mar 27, 2008 at 2:59 am

The mild mannered, and well spoken, Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson expounding on the same points Pastor Manning does, but with less growling. Not all Black preachers holler. And, just to be fair and balanced, I think there are more than a few Southern Baptist White preachers that holler while pontificating too.

• 13 David Yeagley // Mar 27, 2008 at 8:42 am

Give up, bsing? Okay.

Bumpo, I’ve known about Peterson for some time. Very interesting man. “Black people have no morals,” was one of his first declaration.

The idea being, the reason someone is on the bottom is due to his values.

Of course, there are exceptions. Sometimes the very highest values lead to poverty and a crucifiction.

WhiteTrash, I appreciate what you say about this whole issue. Yours is quite a remarkable testimony. I think Manning is speaking a social language developed in the black community. You see him objectively.

I don’t think I’ve ever said anything personally accusatory of Obama. I say I am averse to his values, as I perceive them anyway. Ideologically, I oppose him. I have no sense that he love America whatsover. It is a convenient place for him, certainly. What he says seems to work for him. I think it is all superficial and quasi-fraudulent, but, that’s my take.

Objectively, this is about the presidency. This is not a contest about character. Character is only one element in the pot. I’ve even said I rather admire the person Obama, and what he has overcome in life. But this is irrelevant to the presidency of the United States.

Bill Clinton established that one’s personal life (one’s flagrant immorality) has no effect on job performance. The crowds roared in approval, since most of them are apparently like him. Well, that has to work both ways then. The good character of a person has no bearing on job performance either.

Of course, these are both absolute LIES.

• 14 robert berger // Mar 27, 2008 at 10:16 am

As I have said before,just about every-
    thing we have heard about Obama has been
    rumor and innuendo.Let’s face it,the Republicans
    are doing everything in their power to make
    Obama and Hillary look bad,whether the rumors
    are true or not.Where were the Republicans when
    that idiot Sally Kern made an asinine speech
    claiming that “gays are a greater threat to
    America than terrorism”? A lot of evangelical
    jerks actually defended her,yet what she said
    was far worse than anything Wright said,and
    I’m certainly not defending anything he said.
    Kern is merely fostering homophobia,and
    that is far worse.

• 15 David Adams // Mar 27, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Good column. It’s not the loudness of the voice – it’s the words that were chosen to be spoken.

• 16 Layla // Mar 27, 2008 at 1:46 pm

“it’s not the way that you say it, when you do those things to me…it’s more the way you really mean it, when you tell me what will be” (Moody Blues)

It is obvious that Rev. Manning wants to lead his people out of their misery…and Rev. Wright wants and very much needs to keep them wallowing in it…

Lets put aside all of those in Rev. Wrights flock that prosper and do well feeding off of their own peoples ignorance, shaming the white man into supplying them with some free rides, and meal tickets on the poverty train. Yes those blacks are indeed blessed by RW’s Black Liberation theology, but what about the majority of his flock, all they get is a big chip to carry around on their shoulder, they are pawns, the lifeblood of his ministry. The whole ridiculous thing falls apart if they ever wise up.

Rev. Manning simply shouts the truth loud enough for the blind to see, the deaf to hear, and the dumb to understand.

Now you tell me which one of these men most likely cares about the soul of his people, and future of his country.

• 17 ecology // Mar 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm

In my world Hannity and his types are “liberal”. He sure does not register as “conservative” in my world. But thats just me. I support firing squads and the gallows pole tho. So who am I to say or judge. “Conservatives” are just so **yawn**.

• 18 Raphael // Mar 27, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Mr. insHannity is just another fear mongorying, lying scumbag wing-nut, who pimped Rev. Wright’s video totally out of context. Here is what was left on the cutting room floor!

• 19 bsing // Mar 27, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Give up on you David? Yes.

• 20 David Yeagley // Mar 27, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Raph, you don’t have to put the comments in context for me. I know how this kind of preaching goes. I certainly wasn’t surprized or shocked. Nor did I feel a horrible sense of offense. All lot of these white people I guess just don’t know much about black people. I’ve been around a little bit.

I think, however, it is important to put Wright himself in social context. I’m afraid he’s the stinker he’s being made out to be. Hear about his 10,000 foot mansion retirement home being built? Chicago gated golf community. Many millions of dollars in volved. Just saw it on the news tonight.

Not to offend black people, but his sermons and his live style I’m afraid is all too typical–for whites, too! Only whites don’t generally “damn” America. Since Wright wants to live white, as an entertainer basically, I’d say the only thing he really damns is blackness. He’s fooling himself if he thinks otherwise. Apparently fooled a lot of other people, too.

• 21 Natty Bumppo // Mar 28, 2008 at 2:33 am

I wonder if Reverend Wright’s Church has it’s hand in Bush’s Faith Based Initiative pie, all the while disrespecting him by damning the hand that helps them feed the needy while simultaneously flouting IRS regulations on tax exemption?

Another Reverend Manning excerpt to copy and paste. (This one is almost sermon length.)

More Manning on Youtube

• 22 Layla // Mar 28, 2008 at 9:00 am

watched Hannity’s show last night with RM, again H just can’t get over his righteous self long enough to let someone make a point.

You are right DY these white boys do not have a clue how most blacks relate to one another, not only in their churches, but at home and on the street. Especially so in Harlem where RM ministers.

Another liberal politically correct broadcast moderated by someone that would rather moralize than talk about the issues, of course that is what the MSM is paid to do, lead us to our better selves.

• 23 Kris Bryant // Mar 28, 2008 at 10:40 am

Good points, my friend. I disagree with your assertion that stereotypes are benign labels. Sure, they don’t come from a vacuum. But it’s wrong to use them to pre-judge someone. What is troubling about stereotypes is that they misrepresent individuals and create an atmosphere of anxiety for the stereotyped person. In social psychology there’s a phenomenon called “stereotype threat.” In essence, a person’s fear of being perceived as the stereotype creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, which perpetuates the stereotype. This cycle creates a “reality” of behavior that coincides with observable experience. But its basis is not in that person’s “true” nature, but the nature that society created for that individual. I know I sound like one of those bleeding-heart “lefties,” but hopefully you will look past that stereotype to see a concerned and sensitive person. Thanks for your blog, you always challenge my thinking and I appreciate your unique perspective.

• 24 David Yeagley // Mar 28, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Kris, pop (popular) psychology is for the weak. It’s all based on catering to weaknesses. Those that fear stereotypes, or feel limited by them, are slaves.

The strong man learns to play ball. Take the stereotype and run with it. If it’s a good one, run far. If it’s a bad one, live above it. Set the example above it.

Stereotypes never change. Strength learns to deal with them.

In his own personhood, I think Obama is a strong man. I just don’t think he has the right ideologies for the presidency. He is simply not American, in my view. He is a alien, with Marxist ideology. (Just like Hillary, actually.)