When Racism Works

by David Yeagley · July 10, 2003 · 19 Comments ·

Dusty Baker, the manager of the Chicago Cubs major league baseball teams thinks black athletes (and darked skinned hispanics) play ball better in the heat, because they can take the heat better. Sports commentator Phil Arvia thinks this is Baker’s basis for an initiative to higher more black players. Mike Nadel, like most ‘non-minority’ sports writers, thinks Baker is completely racists, and would not hold the position as manager were he not “African American.” Baker’s remarks were the subject of a Hannity & Colmes, and Hannity was particularly outraged by Baker’s attitude and statements.

It was a typical scenario. A memeber of a race is allowed to say whatever he wants about his own race, but if an outsider says something negative about that race, then that is racism. We’re all familiar with that well-established legal duplicity and ethical double standard. Blacks established that, with the help of white attorneys.

But, what about the facts? Are there physical characteristics, other than appearance, which characterize different races? J. Phillipe Rushton, the Canadian psychologist professor certainly thinks so. In his book, Race, Evolution, and Behavior (2000), he claims that Negroes definitely have superior physical abilites. Nine hours after birth, a Negro baby can hold its head straight, an ability not manifest in white babies until after six weeks.

But what about heat? What about endurance of a certain climate? Any special talents there? It would be hard to document on short notice, but it is a fact that some 58,000 Mexicans migrated to the midwest between WWI and the Depression, all looking for work. Mexicans indeed showed the ability to endure heat–the heat of the great foundries–more than Negroes. The Negroes often passed out from the heat. The Mexicans lasted longer in the heat. This is word of mouth testimoney of old folks I personally know from Ohio.

As a matter of fact, Mexicans, particularly those in America now, represent probably the hardest working people here. They are a tremdous work force, and the cheapest available. Big business cannot resist. Thus, we have our immigration problem. I say don’t blame the Mexicans. Blame business, lawyers, and politicians. Especially the white ones.

I don’t know if Negroes endure heat better than Caucasians. I strongly suspect that isn’t true. And I don’t equate slavery with hard work, just ownership, and even that’s often just another name for a steady job. Negroes weren’t brought here for quality labor, just cheap labor. Those were entirely different circumstances in those days. Dusty Baker’s not being accurate on that point. Negro athletes are just naturally inclined and talented. Heat has nothing to do with it.

“Positive” racism, in this case, might prove to be “negative” toward non-Negro athletes. Of course, if a white player and a Negro player compete for left field, and both have the same player stats, Baker could say, “Well, the black player will do better in the heat,” and thus make a hiring decision based on race, and not even on the athlete’s player stats. You mean the white guy never played in summer heat before? If he’s from “hot summers” Chicago, how could have the same stats as the black guy who’s from San Francisco?

Baker’s racist on this one, for blacks, against whites. Not a good thing. But he won’t be reprimanded in the slightest. Racism is committable only by whites against non-whites. Negroes can’t possibly be racist.

Posted by David Yeagley · July 10, 2003 · 12:52 pm CT · ·

• 1 Shane Swing // Jul 10, 2003 at 3:59 pm

Using Baker’s rational, whites are better suited for ownership positions that require long hours of sitting inside air conditioned offices with white-light over-head lamps, and hence, that’s why there are so many of them.

• 2 weh // Jul 10, 2003 at 4:44 pm

Actually that’s been going on for awhile now and there’s a term for it…ah yes, the good ole boy system. You hire your older white good ole boy buddies to keep the status quo. It’s a long American tradtion, keep the minorities and underprivledged down! Hire within the good ole boy ranks! Make sure the legacies like dubya get accepted into ive league universities, no matter if their as dumb as a box or rocks.

-weh

• 3 David Yeagley // Jul 10, 2003 at 5:44 pm

Weh, white people built the country. I don’t think white people owe any minority anything. The American Negro was “defeated” by other Negro tribes in Africa, first. And sold by Negro leaders.

I don’t accuse the whites of breaking their own morals unless I myself espouse those same morals, completely.

By the way, I don’t consider Indians a “minority” at all. We’re memebers of our own nations. How can we be a minority in our own Indian nation? That minority status is not for us. That’s an illusion of some kind relative to the dominant culture. In my mind, Indians are a completely different case than a “minority.”

Indians know how to play that good ol’ boy game, too. Did the Iroquois ever elect an Englishman as their chief, in the name of equality? Just a thought.

The idea that the conqueror owes something to whom he has conquered seems arrogant too me, or at least self deceptive. Whose rules are we going by? Whose system of rights are we measuring behavior by? Historically, Comanches certainly never behaved like we owed anything to anyone we whipped. It seems ironic, to me, that we should expect such “charity” from another group of warriors (whites) who completely overpowered us.

The only difference is,we had no desire to rule over, or dominate anyone else. We just wanted them the _____ out of here, off the land!

• 4 Bodvar // Jul 10, 2003 at 6:38 pm

Weh,

If blacks were the managers, would they be free of the exact same “good old boy” system you accuse whites of? I think not.

You look out after your own.

As to Mr. B being a bonehead, he’s got a bachelors from one Ivy League institution, and a masters from another. It couldn’t ALL be “legacy” ring knocking. Anyway, he was smart enough to know that, in the Florida debacle, you can own all the lawyers you want (as with Mr. Gore) and still come to naught if the other guy owns all the judges.

Historically, the conqueror could enslave, kill, sell, and otherwise exploit for amusement any of the people of a race or culture he conquered. Sometimes, captives were assimilated, as among the Haudenosaunee, when they replaced slain relatives with captives. Sometimes, captives were enslaved, as were the helots by the Spartans. Sometimes, captives were eaten, as among the Aztecs or various nations in Africa.

It pays to either be a damned successful warrior or to be unappetizing.

I heartily agree with Dr. Y here. Whites don’t owe anyone anything, save for any promises they’ve made…any SPECIFIC promises. Beyond that, I’m sure that the contributions of others would be welcomed, as the more hands on the oars we have, the more certain it is that we’ll move forward. But, whining about your lot, comparing victim episodes the way old ladies at a spa compare surgery scars, isn’t contributing.

I’ve read Dr. Y on this before. “OK, you beat us. You must be mighty bad-assed, because we’re mighty bad-assed. Cool. Now, let’s buckle down and get on with it!” Sounds like a mature, reasoned and respectful way to live.

Your mileage may vary.

– B

• 5 weh // Jul 10, 2003 at 7:21 pm

There’s this thing called treaties, written for and agreed upon between many Indian nations and the people of this country. Perhaps you’ve heard of it Mr. Bodvar. You can slap Yeagley’s back and he yours as much till the cows come home, but the reality is there were agreements made with the Indian nations and all of them were broken. Many, many nations were “conquered” as you say, by lying and deceit of the American goverment, that still goes on to this day, towards Indian people. It’s not so much about Y’s idea of a people conquering another as much as it is that this country flat out lied, cheated and stealed. Yeagley’s ideas on this are again, and I keep having to say this, incredibly ignorant. He bends truth to conform to this platform that you all seem to share, and sells part of his own heritage out, in the process. So yes, the conservatives always call it whining or asking for handouts when not adhering to the treaties and I say it’s pointing out the things that the conservatives would rather ignore and just plain being decietful. Again I say the conservative would rather see us eradciated then dealt with because we are not like them and a different approach to life that doesn’t revolve around taking advantage of people and putting up a Mcdonalds or Wal-Mart on every street corner.

The problem, Mr Bodvar, with the line of thinking that you have, this country will get nowhere fast. It’s what we are trying to get past, to evolve to. People are hopefully more evolved than this idea of “taking care of your own”. What does that mean? Does this mean white people just look out for white people or only people with Scotch, Irish, German, English, etc. in them? This seems awfully racist to me, this idea your espouse. An anglophile world seems awfully boring as well. What’s the fear of meeting and incorporating others as well? There’s a term called fairness. There’s also a term called evolution. We don’t walk around with spears and colt 45′s anymore Mr. Bodvar. If you read Yeagley’s posts however, Indians speak in 18th century hollywood syntax though, you might avoid him as a reference. People who actually come from the communities and attend tribal dances (by the way Yeagley, Comamche homecoming is coming up in Walters towards the end of this week, you should try to attend!) do not speak this way. The women for one would crack jokes about it until the cows came home. Nothing like an Indian woman to shame you out.

good day!
    weh

• 6 weh // Jul 10, 2003 at 7:26 pm

Mistake, Comanche Homecoming starts the Thursday of next week in Walters, not this week. I’m getting ahead of myself as I anxiuosly ache to see my friends and cousins again. Yeagley, you should visit and try to learn more about how Indians actually carry themselves!

• 7 David Yeagley // Jul 10, 2003 at 10:03 pm

Weh, you sound like an old man. I wonder. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but, it just sounds like you’re coming from a perspective that is a little outdated.

Ever since I returned to Oklahoma, I’ve had to care for a dying (not deceased)older brother and a crippled, elderly mother. It is very hard to get a way, even for a couple days. However, I do plan to show up at my mother’s home town. I ain’t gonna be easy.

Your comments about see how Indians carry themselves is really condescending. Only if you really ARE much older, will I take such a comment seriously. Frankly, I don’t really care how other people carry themselves. I do what my intuition tells me to do. There have always been lots of fads in and out of Comanche land. You don’t have to follow, you don’t have to lead. I am myself. I know who my family is, I know who my relative were and are. I know my own numunukahn. That’s all I really need to know. I follow the old ways, not the norms of the last 70 years. I feel I have the freedom to choice what aspects of Comanche life are valuable to me, and more importantly, those aspects which might be called upon as guide to the future.

My family is small, and I know alot more about who’s who than you might think. Course, if you’re really in deep, the people I know about might not be important to you anyway…

I’m certainly going to try to make arrangements to be there. My car doesn’t have airconditioning, by the way. I’ll probably sleep on the ground somewhere. We’ll see.

• 8 Bodvar // Jul 10, 2003 at 10:27 pm

“…this country will get nowhere fast. It’s what we are trying to get past, to evolve to. People are hopefully more evolved than this idea of ‘taking care of your own’. What does that mean?”

…it means that I seem to have studied people a bit more than you have, I guess. This behavior is human nature. Despite the best efforts of people (and ideological fashion) to recreate, reform and transform the human animal, he (or she, for our feminist sisters) has, so far, stubbornly resisted “bettering” his nature.

The apple’s not fallen far from the tree. Taken altogether, humankind has “evolved”, by trial and error born of everything from selfishness to basic survival, many more of what even you would call shining traits than faults.

“This seems awfully racist to me, this idea your espouse.”

See! You’ve caught me at last! A closet Klansman! Imagine my chagrin.

These same tribal Americans you seem to’ve lumped into some comicbook backdrop to your ideology and pre-digested list of calumnies ALSO consider it a cultural strength to look after their own…first.

More power to ‘em!

Who’s gonna care for you more than your own blood? By that, I don’t mean some stranger who is enrolled in the same BIA book as you, or, for whites, some other guy who, by virtue of genetics, vaguely resembles you in hair and eye color. I mean your brothers, your cousins, your uncles…your kin. Tribes, after all, are extended families.

People are much more complex than you give them credit for being. They can ACTUALLY look after their own while treating other people in a civil manner…increasing this civility is what we should be addressing.

As to treaties, there’s no argument there. The trust funds which still exist have been political footballs, looted blind, without argument.

Still, you must, even through a haze of “shoulda-coulda”, see that SOME of the treaties struck were for advantage — used as a tactic, in other words — to secure position in what was war, tribe by tribe.

The treaties ENDING those wars should be observed, without doubt. No one of the hook here. You’ll not catch me apologizing for the Federal government. I’m a confederate.

Think for a second about what is being discussed here, in response to other postings: do Natives want to address their affairs with the Federal government and their white neighbors as outsiders and the poor victims you seem to think them to be; or as the sons and daughters of powerful people, beaten by powerful people.

So many Native activists (and activists of other folks who style their people to be someone’s victims) misrepresent history as a clash between sneaky weasels, winning over people who were trusting and betrayed and duped. In fact, there was a whole mess of bloody fighting, each side getting their own in. The Comanche couldn’t've been beaten by weasels, nor could the Apache nor the Lakota nor the Dakota nor the Nez Perce. They fought desperately.

Maybe 100 Apache, with fewer than 35 effectives, kept a quarter of the standing US Army in the field for months…and only were overcome by their own surrender due to concern for women and accompanying children.

So, as in this instance, only desperate combat, using every weapon of war, could’ve beaten these people.

To subscribe to the sneaky weasel theory sells both sides short…the one for perfidity, the other for gullibility.

As to the style of language I used in my earlier posting, I beg to point out that this is the way I myself speak when I’m not typing…it’s no part of any Hollywood “Tonto-ism”.

I would caution you to guard against a measure of arrogance which you yourself displayed. Dr. Y carries himself just fine. You don’t agree with his views…this doesn’t make him any less genuine a son of his people. Are you and your cousins arbiters of what is and isn’t “Indian”? If you are, can I see your license?

There is an ideology — a victimology — which has swept too many Natives up in its thrall, somehow, they seem to think, excusing the most churlish behavior…and sowing divsion among them. There’s room ’round the fire for Natives of ALL views, I would hope.

Finally, if you don’t like all of the back-slapping, ask someone you know who has a friend or someone you know who knows someone he or she admires, and ask them why people slap such people on the back and support them and speak well of them. You might find it illuminating.

– B

• 9 Shane Swing // Jul 10, 2003 at 11:52 pm

weh,
    you said,”People who actually come from the communities and attend tribal dances (by the way Yeagley, Comamche homecoming is coming up in Walters towards the end of this week, you should try to attend!)”.

By that did you mean, “There’s going to be people of OUR KIND there?!!!” Or, was that bolvar talking through you? Please, check the flaw in your own comments before you throw stones at someone else.

Just a thought. Feel free to fire back.

Shane

• 10 weh // Jul 11, 2003 at 1:44 am

Yeagley,

I don’t have air conditioning in my car, most of the Natives I know don’t, now who is whining?

Shane,

You are completely brainwashed and I imagine you wear stars and stripes boxers in bed….blood money? Are you freaking kidding me? are you not an immigrant? Like everyone else? Blood money?
    Its the blood of my ancestors that we are talking about? Do you not have a clue to the history of this country or do you chose to put on blinders? I refuse to exchange post with you anymore for you are so ill informed and so brainwashed that common sense and basic american history 101 is lost on you.

Oh geez you know what, I will move on past this website. It’s only visited by the same folk anyway, extremist right wing anglos. Ultimately this site does nothing. It is just a website. This website is a haven for people that post to it. It’s the last refuge. Good day gentleman. Continue to rot in obscurity.

p.s.
    Yeagely, I think at some point if you ever choose to participate in Comanche culture, you’ll see the light. It is my ultimate belief and hope for you. Please attempt to something greater than being a tool for the right wing. A token Indian is a sad thing. You have intelligence, use it for the betterment of your tribe.

weh

• 11 weh // Jul 11, 2003 at 2:02 am

Bodvar,

We have to look after our own, after all of the “ethnic cleansing”. When your own people go through this, you possibly can understand what I’m talking about. I’m not talking about a people from another country either, I’m talking about your grandfathers and grandmothers telling you the stories of how they were mistreated and their lands were stolen. I’m not talking about sons of immigrants to this land, who are born into a better place and deem it proper to close off it’s borders now. I’m not talking in the least about you because you couldn’t possibly understand. You are lucky to be here. You should be paying rent at the very least.

weh

• 12 Cathy // Jul 13, 2003 at 2:07 am

I could say something on this…. but I won’t. My Mother tried to teach me that if I didn’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
    My Mother Is INTELLEGENT. Enough said.
    Cathy, Made In America

• 13 Stephen // Jul 15, 2003 at 10:15 pm

Using Shanes rational, dogs have 4 legs and chairs have 4 legs, hence dogs are made of wood.

• 14 David Yeagley // Jul 15, 2003 at 10:47 pm

No, I think that’s “chairs wee-wee,” or, “chairs have tails.” In either case, I think Shane is mocking Baker’s rational. Baker thinks Negroes perform better in the heat. Where did Baker get such an idea? I think this is what Shane is playing with, the idea.

My older brother one said there are more black football players simply because, to make that kind of money, the football door is more easily opened. It is easier also to take a body beating than to sweat your brains out in business. But, it seems that, for the money, pro football is more accessible to Negroes. I don’t think it has anything to do with physical stamina. Whites have more options than body beating, for that kind of money.

As I said, Midwest lore has it, very specifically, Mexicans beat the blacks in the heat. They could work the foundries longer and harder, without passing out.

• 15 Cathy // Jul 16, 2003 at 3:38 pm

I thought of something nice to say,” Using this mans logic on the subject, we should immediately ban all white players from all summer type games and all people of color from any winter games. The hard part will be convincing other nations of the benefits where the Olympics are concerned. And on that note, we should also segregate the whole country by race according to the extremes of climate. All whites up north, dang I hate that one, I love Ky. and all color(black and hispanic) in the South. The mason dixon line would be the border. West of the Mississippi would be Indian territory. That will do the trick. I really don’t think this way, it’s just how rediculous things sound sometimes. Popcorn anyone? Cathy

• 16 Betty Ann // Jul 16, 2003 at 4:14 pm

“GOVERNMENTS DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP TREATIES. I don’t care how old they are, how many signatures are on them, or whose, or what the treaties say.
    I say it will prove a FATAL ERROR to depend on the treaties or their provisions. And the BIA is a distorted, wasteful umbilical cord to which the tribes perpetually attach themselves. This has caused perpetual infantilism on our tribal managements, and practically forced the corruption that we all know so well.” Dr. Yeagley writes
    ——
    This sounds very racist against American Indians Dr. Yeagley. The government in white America’s mind may say they do not owe a damn thing to anyone except themselves. But they do owe the American Indians and they do need to keep and uphold their promises to the American Indians in this land we call The United States of America.

Remember if the treaties are not honored then what is to say we do not have to honor the United States Constitution? Remember the two highest supreme laws of the land are the US Constitution and the Indian Treaties. These two laws of the land we call America can be compared to twins or the twin towers. If one is done away with the other goes along with it. What would follow then is anarchy is this country, but what is the worst of the two evils that dictates to Americans today totalitarianism or white democracy. Pick or chose tactics.

But then of course this country was built on white American values and the ideology of the democratic and republican party and didn’t someone say the democratic party was communist based and the republican party an upper, white boy society (who have to be bathed, shaved, fed, and dressed by servant)or off shoot of the democratic party???????????

And mind you the Emancipation Proclamation Act that supposedly set the Black free…was only a vessel for the United States to create more manpower to fight the great Indian wars on this land that was once our ancestral lands but is not infested with every dang race imaginable.

In ending I would say it took the entire white and black nations to unite to kill off our leaders with mass weapons of destruction whilst our people had the bow, arrows and war clubs and a few crooked guns….sounds familiar doesn’t it. Kill in the name of progress and protecting American citizens, by killing the first people, so yes the government and the blacks owe us nothing as we want nothing but for the US Government to keep our treaties intact no matter how old they are..for their age is the same as the US Constitution…so I agree with weh.

And Cathy this is a big boys club tell it like it is or you will be pushed aside.

Betty Ann

• 17 Betty Ann // Jul 16, 2003 at 4:21 pm

weh,

Just a thought. Feel free to fire back.

Shane writes
    ————

Shane and the rest, I think Dr. Yeagley can take care of himself and doesn’t need any protection or armoured weapons to keep comments away from him like the ones posted from weh.

And for you young man watch your tongue and go swing in that political monkey site of yours.

And weh is free to whine as much as he wants and there is not a dang thing you can do about that Shane as white America created the freedom of expression right? So let Dr. Yeagley carry his own weight here and no need for you white boys to wipe his brow every time his air conditioner doesn’t work.

Betty Ann

• 18 Cathy // Jul 16, 2003 at 11:26 pm

Hooooaaaahhhh Betty! You are some kinda lady! I think I like you! Cathy

• 19 Betty Ann // Jul 17, 2003 at 9:23 am

“You also put down America. Well as long as you have not received equal to or greater than 1 cent of American currency in any form of assistance, than by all means feel free to criticize. If you have taken more than a penny, then you are benefiting from blood money, and I don’t want to hear any more of your hypocritical whinning.” Shane writes
    ———
    Well Shane if you never received any donations, contributions or begged the people to keep your site going or taken any blood money in your life then you hush up too! If this isn’t racism at work.

And I see from your site you too do alot of so called hypocritical whining. Your words of “and I don’t want to hear anymore of your hypocritical whining” reminds me of the days and days that still continue today of how the white folks and others feel they are still superior over American Indians. You are not weh’s mother, father or relative and he is not your servant and needs not shut up for you or anyone else. Remember your white leaders created freedom of expression in America.

Betty Ann